177. Funeral

It was a dark and gloomy day with moderate snowfall. The weather was cold, yet the interior of the mourning hall of the church was quite warm as the air conditioner pumped in warm air into the large, open room. Up on the elevated marble platform before the large painting of the Endirith, the Goddess of Death, that covered the entirety of the wall up to the tall ceiling was a polished dark wood casket. Within it rested the beautiful and yet still figure of Luna.

She laid in the padded casket atop its white flower petal bed. With her hands clasped on top of her stomach and her eyes closed, she appeared to be in a deep slumber. Her face was so peaceful, and the outline of her eyes were perfectly visible from underneath her eyelids that it made it appear as if the young girl could open her eyes at any second and just wake from this slumber. Yet, the heart within her was not beating and it will never beat ever again.

Directly beneath the casket that was situated above on was the altar where the priest of the Goddess of Death stood, reading in a solemn tone from the Book of Endirith, the scripture used during mourning ceremonies. And sitting facing the priest was the friends and family of the deceased girl, all dressed in some formal clothing that was black.

The ceremony was long and gloomy in nature. All remained silent as the priest's voice echoed in the mourning hall of the church with their head kept low. Luna's mother was sobbing at the very front row, and her father comforted his wife by gently rubbing her back with bloodshot eyes. As for the others, we were all in our own state of mourning.

Sitting next to me at the very back row was Erith, who sobbed into a tissue. It would appear that Luna had truly never told her or anyone else other than her direct family of her condition, making it all a sudden surprise for them. No one had expected that formerly lively and healthy girl to suddenly go like this all of a sudden. Even for me. When I close my eyes, it was as if I could still see her smiling at me, yet...that is simply my imagination. It is a scene that I will never be able to see ever again.

Sitting near me were the people in our group. For them, maybe it's because they've only technically known Luna for a few months, the damage wasn't as devastating for them. However, I could tell that they were all saddened greatly by her death as their faces were gloomy. For Irina though, she was weeping as well, maybe it was because Luna was her second female friend. However, I believe it was anyone else, Irina would be weeping as well. That's just who she is.

The funeral ceremony then continued on and the priest finished reading from the Book of Endirith. Next came the farewell sequence of the funeral where everyone present would approach the casket and drop in a white lily before the casket is sent off to be cremated. Finally, it's time to say goodbye.

The order of the farewell is decided based on seating, meaning that for me, I am the last one to go as I sat at the very back and at the very corner of the row. I stood in line with melancholy in my mind as I held onto the fresh, white lily that I shall be dropping into her casket. Before me, the line of people dressed in black extended all the way up to the marble platform where the casket rested before the large painting of the Goddess of Death.

With a sigh, I observed the painting of Endirith. She was a beautiful figure depicted with dark hair and pale white skin, symbolizing the symptoms of death in humanity. In her hands and surrounding her were orbs of light that were of a light gray color that was still visible despite the black and red background.

Are there really such an entity as a Goddess of Death? I asked myself as I slowly inched toward the stepped platform. If there is...is she then a separate person from God?

Those before me paused before the opened casket, praying for the deceased Luna momentarily before they allowed the white lily in their hands to be dropped gently into the casket and onto her chest. Each person had their turn and was given the opportunity to pray for as long as they would like, so it took a while before it was finally my turn.