77. End of the Festival

The day quickly came to an end when the clock slowly approached 5 PM. Since Muria and Irina had to perform, we arrived at the gym at around 4:30 in order for them to put on their costumes and makeup. For Loyd and Zaksus, this will be their first time seeing the play. Therefore, they got tickets to the show and sat down to watch near the front rows. Even though I had already seen the play yesterday, I was sort of forced to watch with them, leading to the loss of 150 Vil from my virtual wallet.

The two sitting on my left seemed to be enjoying the performance since they remained quiet and kept their eyes glued on stage. However, it was a different story for me. There's really not much point in rewatching something you've seen the day before. But, I am kinda interested in the ending of the show since that was what I missed the day before.

The ending of the play followed the script perfectly, with both Mary and Verinel dying. I wasn't very surprised by this ending because I've already read the script before, but I am impressed by the two girls's acting. It was quite superb.

One thing that I noticed was that after the play had ended and the audience was streaming towards the exits, I heard multiple people remark that the ending was different from yesterday. It didn't seem to bother them much, but it probably still confused them as to why the ending was suddenly changed, little did they know that the whole ending yesterday was improvised. Luckily, Irina's and Muria's reactions on stage yesterday fitted the scenario almost too perfectly so no one was able to tell that it wasn't planned at all. Well... maybe except the real blood that flowed from my left hand.

After the play had ended, the three of us waited outside the back entrance to the gym for Muria and Irina. It was around 6:30, and the sun had already started to set due to the autumn season. Dusk had descended on the world as night ate away the existence of day and slowly reduced the light little by little. However, there was still enough light from the sun to illuminate the world with its orange glow, but... in a few more minutes or so, it'll probably be dark.

"Good job," Loyd said to the two actresses as they emerged from the door in their school uniforms.

Irina had rid herself of the hat and face mask due to the fact that the majority of the guests had left campus already with the only people still present being the faculty and students. On her face was an accomplished smile as she greeted the three of us. She seemed to have enjoyed the production of the play.

As for Muria, she emerged with great fatigue on her face. Therefore, when Loyd and Zaksus congratulated them and started talking about the play, she avoided them and walked away in order to escape from that lively atmosphere that Loyd, Zaksus, and Irina displayed. However, what I didn't understand was why she stood next to me.

"Tired?" I asked while leaning on the wall of the gym.

"Yeah," she sighed. "I don't understand where she gets all that energy."

"She is a professional."

"I've never done something like this," she said as she rubbed her arms. "Standing up there is so tiring."

"I know. But for an amateur," I then said casually while gazing at the dusk sky overhead, "you did pretty good."

"Is that supposed to be a compliment?"

"What else could it be?"

"I just never thought someone like you can actually say something that's worth hearing." She smiled slyly.

"Ha," I quietly chuckled in amusement.

That's right... this is the Muria that I know. That supercilious tone of voice, that mocking smile, and the way she treated me in general, that's the Muria that I know. Even though the way she treats me wasn't with the expected type of respect or politeness, but it's because of this that we could actually coexist and speak to each other. With no expectations comes no let downs, that's why I can so casually speak with her.