28. Like a Mortal

I sat there, confused as to what had just happened around me. It was just so sudden, and what they were speaking about was so unfamiliar to me that I my brain seemed to have suffered from an information overload.

I glanced over at Emilia, who still stood there, holding on to her right arm with her left and looking at the ground. She appeared to have not recovered fully from that reunion with Ralus. The image of her teary eyes burned itself into my mind, carving itself into my memories. It was something that I'll never forget. That day, I saw an angel cry.

"You want to sit down?"

I observed her reaction at my suggestion, wondering whether or not she would respond. From the looks of it, she did hear what I said. She slowly walked over to the couch adjacent to mine and then proceeded to sit down on it. As she did so, however, she avoided eye contact with me by turning her face slightly to the side so that, when combined with her bangs, made it impossible for me to observe what facial expression she had.

I do not know what it was that bothered her. If it was something that can disturb an angel to such a heavy degree, then it must be something that us mortals should not even attempt to understand. It is something unfathomable. It is something that even the divine cannot figure out. If it is truly so, then what good is it for a mere mortal like me to think over it, struggle over it, and suffer over it? There are things in this world that...if you just don't know, would make life so much easier for oneself. For example, if your life is perfect and all, would you want to know that it was all fake and is a simulation? I wouldn't, because why bother? A fake utopia is more preferable than a harsh reality.

I sat there in silence, watching her. I wanted to comfort her, but I didn't know how and whether or not it would be appropriate for me to do so. She's an angel. She's supposed to be the one that offers guidance to those that are troubled. Not me. Therefore, what should the troubled do when the trouble solver becomes troubled? I do not know the answer to that question, so I chose to remain mute and just sit there and observe her.

After about five minutes, it would appear that she had recovered. Although the tears have dried up, her eyes still remained red and bloodshot. However, even that could not conceal her divine beauty, which was now mixed with a hint of frailty, a frailty that would pull on any man's heartstrings and elicit a desire to protect. It's just that it is so rare for one to see a strong female figure like Emilia display her weakness that when it is displayed, one would often be surprised by the display and be drawn in by the view of the rarity.

"Sorry." Emilia quietly apologized to me.

She lifted her head and looked up at me, and on that face was the mysterious smile that she would often display. However, this time, that smile was no longer that perfect shield. Through the cracks in that shield, I could see trickles of sadness flowing through, almost as if she was calling out for help subconsciously but her conscious prevented her from doing so.

"It's alright," I responded in the only way I know of. "It happens to everybody."

"Weird to say that to an angel," she chuckled, "since we aren't the 'everybody' that you would meet on a daily basis."

Well...what's the difference? Those tears, that sadness, and that look of pain...all of which are observed in us mortals. Are you so sure that mortals and the divine are so different? Because from what I could see, Emilia is similar to an ordinary woman.

"If you say so..." I muttered.

"Sorry that had to ruin the mood for the night," Emilia apologized once again. "Even us angels have...moments."

"Right," I nodded. "So was he supposed to be serving some punishment?"

"Correct," Emilia nodded. "But due to unforeseen circumstances, it would appear that he has broken free of his fetters."