114. May the Moon be Eternal

The day went by quite quickly with the sun making its arc across the sky and setting beyond the western horizon. However, because it was late autumn, the sun had set quite early, meaning that it was still too early to head back.

We had made our way to the temple that we had toured the other day during the mandatory trips. However, at night, this temple had an oddly romantic feeling to it. Warm lights illuminated the temple grounds as many couples toured the spot. The overall atmosphere of the place was great, with small lamps laid out on the side of the road, even on the bridge with a small stream flowing underneath. From this bridge and looking out, there was a beautiful lake where many miniature boats made from local wood carried small light sources floated out as well as paper lanterns that floated up into the sky carrying small fires within it as well. The resulting image was the lake surface reflecting the abundant beautiful orange lights that flew about in the air.

A gentle breeze blew by, moving our hair as we leaned against the railings of the stone bridge, watching the beautiful scene over the lake. For companionship as well as warmth, Luna hugged onto my arm and rested her head on my shoulder. This way, she could remain warm with my warmth, and I also benefited since her warmth was also quite soothing for my body.

"I heard that people would write wishes in those lanterns before letting them go," Luna whispered to me. "I want to try it."

"Let's go try it then," I said, pushing off gently against the railing as I began walking over to the vendor that sold those paper lanterns.

The vendor was located near the lake's banks, meaning we still had to walk a short distance there. It wasn't far, and only took us about half a minute. However, in this half minute, we passed by many couples that were visiting as well as the occasional family. In addition, as we walked, Luna maintained physical contact with me at all times.

"A couple only has to buy one," the vendor said when he saw that we were buying two, one for each.

"We're not dating," I responded.

"No?" the middle-aged man lifted an eyebrow in surprise. "You two quite look like you are. Normal friends don't get that close physically."

We each bought a paper lantern from the vendor and listened to him explain the tradition of the lantern as well as how to make it fly. The concept of it was the exact same as hot air balloons so it wasn't exactly hard to understand. Therefore, the only thing we have to ponder over is what wish we wanted to make.   

"What're you going to wish for?" I asked Luna as I struggled to think of something.

"If I were to tell you," she frowned and pouted, "then it wouldn't come true."

"This isn't a birthday cake," I sighed and chuckled. "Fine..."

Then, I saw her turn away from me as she quickly jotted down her wish on her lantern. I was quite jealous of her being able to quickly come up with a wish. However, it must be easier for her since she seems to have a clearer outlook on life. With her life being limited to about half a year now, her wish probably revolved around her disease recovery or her life span prolonged; things that will never come true, but... it's nice to believe.

However, I thought as I frowned as I know that her wish will never come true. Even if the divines did try, they won't be able to do anything about it...

I stared blankly at my paper lantern, struggling to think of a wish that I would want to come true. I had an odd feeling within me. I know this custom is simply superstition with no actual base. In addition, I know the divines that should theoretically be responsible for granting such wishes. Therefore, I know that whatever wish I put on the lantern will never come true. What I put down shouldn't matter at all. But... why is it that my heart throbs in such a painful manner?