Journey

When Emmy woke up the night had already fallen, the carriage had stopped by a large inn.  The lights lit up from the inside as loud, boisterous chatter and laughter could be heard from the outside.  

Four beautiful moons have risen high in the sky already as the man got out of the carriage first before turning around to help Emmy down.  Emmy hesitated for a moment before reaching out her hand and placing it into his.

His large, warm hands held onto her small cold hands for a moment, just long enough to help her down the carriage.  It was quickly let go of, the moment both of her feet touched the ground.

The man quickly turned and left, leaving Emmy to follow behind him as the doors of the inn were opened by a servant.

“Ah!  Master Seoras!  Welcome back!” The marton of the inn welcomed them as she came around the bar to usher them in.  “It’s been sometime since you left. Did you want the usual room?”

The mysterious man nods his head once before stepping to the side, letting the matron see Emmy.  Her critical eyes looked Emmy up and down several times before she nodded her head in understanding.  

“We have a room next to yours that’s empty.”  The marton stated. “Sammy will show you to your room.”  

“Em.”  Seoras grunted.

The matron quickly dismissed them shouting for Sammy, who came from the kitchens and quickly bowed to Seoras before leading them up three flights of stairs and around two hallways before giving them keys to their room.  Without another word, Sammy bowed to Seoras and quickly left them.

Seoras opened Emmy’s room and Emmy enters the room without a word.  Her eyes quickly scans the small, plain and clean room. There was a second room to her right and when she walked over to it and saw that it was a small bathing room, she smiled.  

She couldn’t control her situation.  She couldn’t dictate anything in her life.  So she’ll just go with the flow and find pleasure in the little things in life.  

From behind her she heard the door close and then the key inserted in the lock and the turn of the key.  She was locked inside of the small room. Emmy closed her eyes in happiness. She didn’t have to service the mysterious man named Master Seoras.  What he wanted with her, she didn’t know. But what she did know, was that Master Seoras showed her the most kindness she felt in over 3 years. And she’ll take her blessings, no matter how big or small, when ever it was gifted to her.

She was no long that naive 15 year old.  She had turned 18 and felt like she had already lived more than half her lifetime in suffering.  She could only take life, day by day, and let fate take her where it wanted her to be.

-----

The mysterious Master Seoras took her on a long journey.  They were on the road for more than two weeks, crossing farmland, forestry, and rivers before they arrived at their destination. For two weeks they did not say more than a handful of words to each other every day.  In the end, Emmy did not know anymore than the first day she woke up.

Emmy could see the high walls that surrounded the city.  Several soldiers stood on top of the wall walking back and forth. When the carriage approached the gate, a dozen soldiers ran out and stood on both sides of the road to welcome them back.  

Emmy watched at the soldiers bowed and only waited until the carriage pass, did they stand back up.  Emmy could see everyone bow to them, from every man, woman and child. They all gave their respect and obedience to Master Seoras.

Emmy could see that the city was a prosperous city.  With every street, she passed, everyone was dressed well and looked well fed. There was no dirt or trash in the street, not even a rodent or stray animals. Every shop was freshly painted and looked welcoming.

But what felt wrong to Emmy was that even though everything looked perfect.  No one cheered and shouted to welcome Master Seoras back. Although they bowed to him in obedience, no one welcomed him back warmly.  

Who was the mysterious man who sat before her and what does he want with her?