By Her Side

Seoras, Emmy, Dominic and Gengrick all stared at Prince Cael and Arashi with questioning eyes.  Why did they moan out loud as well?

Both Cael and Arashi covered their moans with several awkwardly placed coughs as they drank tea cup after tea cup of tea to “wash down” their coughing fit.

“Your right, Lady Emmy, these snacks are delicious.”  Arashi said. “To bad I ate it too quickly and it went down the wrong way.”  

“Yes! Yes!”  Cael quickly agreed.  “Same thing happened to me.”  

Seoras stared that the two men for a long time deciding if wanted to kill them now or later.  His hand tightened into a fist as his anger began to slowly erup. How dare they covet his woman.  Would they dare try to take Emmy away from him and his men? They were so bold as to look at his Emmy with lustful thoughts right in front of him!  How could he take their disrespect! They were looking down on him if they thought they could do this and get away with it.

But before Seoras could pin the two guests to their seats with his powers, Seoras felt Emmy’s soft and warm hand hold onto his arm, calming him down instantly.  It was her way of telling him to calm down. It wasn’t the right time to make any moves against them yet.

Seoras quickly swallowed his anger and his killing intent disappeared.  Both Gengrick and Dominic saw Emmy hold on to Seoras and they too got the message.

“Our discussions can continue tomorrow.”  Seoras said. “For now, the both of you have just arrived.  You should rest before dinner. I have a lot of things to do at the moment and cannot entertain you. Dominic.  Gengrick.”

Both Dominic and Gengrick stood up.  Dominic had already straightened his clothes by this time and followed Gengrick out of the hall.  

Seoras stood up and kissed Emmy on the forehead and whispered a few words to Emmy before he too left.

The three of them did not speak until Seoras shadow disappeared.  

“How have you been, Lady Emmy?”  Prince Cael asked after he cleared his throat.  Suddenly he felt like a school boy speaking to his first love.  

“Quite well.  Thank you for asking.  And you?”

“I have been quite well, as well.”  Cael said.

“Did you take care of that issue we had in Clovis?”  

“I did inform my King Father about the situation and it is being investigated at the moment.”  Cael told Emmy generally, not wanting to let Arashi know about Lire’s business. “I was hoping to speak with Lord Seoras about this more, but I think it’ll have to wait until tomorrow.”  

“Yes. Well, at least the King is aware of the issue and hopefully justice will prevail.”

“Justice will prevail.”  Cael promised her.

“Who is the man that is sitting next to you, Prince Cael.  We have not been introduced.” Emmy said.

Arashi’s eyebrows scrunched together at her words.  Why did Emmy act as if she didn’t know him? Does she not recognise him?  Does she not remember him? Did she lose her memory?

“Ah, of course.  This is Duke Arashi, his father is Minister Senya.  Minister Senya was suppose to travel to Lire with Minister Robin, however he suddenly fell ill and Duke Arashi came to Lire in his place.” Cael quickly told Emmy.  “Duke Arashi, this is Lady Emmy Tomas. Lady Emmy, Duke Arashi.”

“Nice to meet you.”  Emmy said.

“Em.  Nice to meet you too.”  Arashi said back. His heart started hurting as if a knife stabbed him repeatedly.  She looked at him as if he was a stranger and he couldn’t help that his words sounded like a sulky child.  

“Do you two know each other?”  Cael questioned them as he saw Arashi’s eyes flash with hurt by Emmy’s words.  

“No.  Why would we?”  Emmy said. “If I knew him, why would I have asked you to introduce us?”  

Emmy’s word caused Arashi to feel more pain as if arrows struck his heart with every word of denial.

Cael felt as if either one or both of them were lying to him and he didn’t like it.  Cael could feel himself being possessive of Emmy and the thought of sharing her with others made him jealous.  

“Do you have sometime today?  I have some things I need to speak to you about.” Cael asked Emmy.  He wanted some time alone with her. He needed time alone with her. He wanted to be near her, touch her, kiss her.  He wanted to know her scent. Wanted her to say his name. He wanted so much. And he was finally so close to her and yet, he was so far.  

“Not at the moment.”  Emmy said as she stood up.  “Maybe after dinner? I usually take some time after dinner to walk in my flower garden behind the castle.  You can find me there if you still want to talk.”

“Okay.  I’ll meet you there.”  Cael quickly agreed.

“I still have some things to attend to as well and cannot keep you company.  Please do go back to your rooms and rest until dinner. There really isn’t anything spectacular to see here in Ceco.”  Emmy told them as excused herself. “If you want a tour of the castle, it can be arranged.”

“No. No.  I plan to go back to my room.”  Cael said.

“Me too.”  Arashi agreed.  

“See you both at dinner then.”  

The two of them watched Emmy leave.  The moment they were left alone together, none of them said a thing.  The both of them were lost in their own thoughts. It wasn’t until Steward Seth cleared his throat did they realize where they were and followed him out of the hall. The two of them followed Steward Seth back without saying a word to each other.   

It was only when the door closed behind them that they sighed heavily at their situation.  Getting close to Emmy would be a lot harder than they thought it would be. With Seoras next to her, would she be willing to look at them?  

It would be later that they would find out how hard it would be with Dominic and Gengrick by her side as well.