Virtue

Emmy’s days started off as usual.  Waking up early to eat a quick breakfast before heading off to the training field.  After lunch, she would spar with the soldiers for a couple of hours before going to her rose garden to help the gardeners maintain its beauty by watering the flowers and pruning the bushes.

It was only after a while that she noticed that the gardeners have left her there alone and a single man stood behind her.  He had crept up to her so quietly that Emmy did not notice when he arrived. It was also a sign that Seoras was still a stronger mage practitioner than she is.

“Your camellia’s are gone.”  Seoras said as he noticed Emmy’s relaxed shoulders tense when she finally found out that he stood behind her.  

“They turned into ashes.”  Emmy told him. “Burned before my eyes.”  

“They were beautiful while it lasted.”  

“Em.”  Emmy agreed.  “They were.”

“Roses are better.”  He teased her. “Beautiful yet deadly.”  

“Roses can’t kill.”  Emmy said as she turned around to look at Seoras when she finished pruning the rose bush.  

“Death Rose can.”  Seoras reminded her.

Emmy laughed at his reference.  As if bring up her code name would make a difference for him to win his point of view.  She smiled and gave up, letting him win.

Seoras quickly pulled her down and sat by her on the ground, as staring at her while she worked made him feel awkward.  Their bodies were immediately hidden in the rose bushes around them as the sun began to set.  Seoras reached out his hand and took a hold of her hand and studied the dirt that crusted under her nails.  Her beautiful hands now had calluses on them.

Seoras sighed heavily as he thread his fingers through hers and held her hand.  He felt as if their hand fitted perfectly.

“Seoras?”  Emmy questioned as she could tell something was on his mind.  She could tell by his actions.

“Can we just sit here for a while.”  Seoras asked her. “Can we just pretend that I’m not me and pretend that I just walked up to a beautiful girl sitting in the middle of a rose garden and joined her?”  

Emmy’s face blushed pink as she nodded her head to agree to him.  Together they sat side by side and watched as the sun set. When darkness began to blanket the sky it was only then Seoras spoke.

“My mother is visiting.”  Seoras told Emmy. “With her bevy of matchmaking ladies that she wants me to marry.”

Emmy felt his hand tighten around hers  

“She will be coming here with Lord Edie of Maru.”  Seoras said as his hand let hers go and quickly wrapped his hand around her waist.  

Emmy’s body suddenly became rigid as she felt his hand rest on her hips, trapping her within his embrace.  

“W-who is Lord Edie of Maru?”  Emmy asked as she cleared her throat.  

“Lady Avina’s father.”  Seoras told her. “I’ve sent word that his  daughter came to Ceco with ill intentions to assassinated Lady Tomas and cause chaos for our people.  It’s your decision what you want to be done to her. Do you want her life as payment for trying to assassinate you.  Or do you want reparations?”

Emmy thought about it for some time.  She didn’t want to start a war. Especially since she felt the army wasn’t ready yet.  She also didn’t want to pull the people of Ceco into a useless war and cause both territories to suffer.  

“Reparations.”  Emmy told him. “I want something worth as much as Maru, their people, and Lady Avina.  Something so valuable, they will never give up in 100 generations.”

Seoras smiled at her and nodded.

“I know just what you should ask for.”  Seoras told her. “They’ll regret messing with us.”  

“Em.” Emmy said as she agreed.  

Suddenly she felt Seoras’s head lay on her shoulder.  His soft hair tickled her neck as they became quiet again.  His warm body pressed next to hers, caused her cheeks to turn pink.  His hand on her waist held her tightly against him. Her breath quickened as she sat straight and stiff, frozen like a statue.  She became aware of his scent and his strength. Indecent thoughts suddenly flooded her thoughts as she swallowed her saliva down her dry throat.

“Emmy?”  Seoras said after awhile.  

“Yes?”  

“You’ll protect my virtue, right?”

Emmy laugh out loud, unabashedly.  The Master of Ceco needed a woman to protect his virtue.