Deviant (3)

Cael sat there silently listening to Emmy as she spoke.  She did have a point. She was one person, one voice against hundreds.  He suddenly felt horrible for trying to kill her before even trying to find out the truth.  He was always someone who told his subordinates to make sure they investigated their opponent thoroughly before they make a move. Then why is it that he did not do what he believed?  Why did he make a move without finding out the truth?

“Tell me this.”  Cael asked as he stared at Emmy.  “Have you been outside of Ceco in the past month?”  

Emmy raised her eyebrow at Cael and stated at him as if he just asked her a stupid question.   

“You can ask these men if I’ve ever left Ceco or not.  Seeing how my words do not hold much weight.” Emmy said.  

Reaper immediately spoke in favor of Emmy.

“Crown Prince Cael.”  Reaper said as he sat up straighter.  “Lady Emmy has not step out of Ceco for the last four years.  The past month, Lady Emmy has not left the castle. Why do you ask?”  

Cael sighed heavily before he rubbed his temples.  He could have avoided this calamity if he just sent his men to investigate.  However, because it was his junior disciple who complained to him and the rumors about Emmy, he took matters into his own hands and three of his loyal guards died.  

“I take it that you’ve never met Sir Yohan.”  

Emmy looked boredly at Prince Cael.  

“And I also take it that you’ve never met Lady Sofie or Lord Drew?”

Emmy blinked her eyes slowly at Prince Cael as if to tell him how boring the conversation was.  If Reaper said that she never left Ceco, then what is the point of him asking these insignificant questions?

Cael sighed even more as he suddenly stood up and face her.  He looked her straight in her eyes and suddenly lowered his head towards her.  Emmy leaned back in confusion.

“Reaper, what is he doing?  What is he doing?” Emmy asked Reaper.  Her eyes swung between Reaper and Prince Cael.  She didn’t want to accept a Prince’s apology.  Cael’s actions surprised her, however she didn’t know how to accept his apology. His humbling action might make her think differently about him. She wasn’t ready to let him off for bringing people to kill her.

“Lady Emmy.”  Cael said as his head was still bowed.  “I have wronged you. Please accept my sincerest apology.”

When his apology was met with silence he began to speak again.  

“Please believe that I no longer have any ill intentions towards you.  The reason why I attacked you was because my junior disciple Sir Yohan told me that his cousin, Lady Sofie had her engagement broken off by Lord Drew because you…”  Cael’s face scrunched up as if what he would be saying next would hurt Emmy’s feelings.

“What did “I” do?”  Emmy asked sternly.

“You seduced Lord Drew and caused him to break their engagement.” Cael quickly said as he looked up at Emmy.  He said those words so quickly that it sounded like one long word.

“Did she say I was the reason, or was she told I was the reason?”  Emmy asked as her anger silently rose within her.

“I...I don’t know.”  Cael said as he frowned.  He never felt so much embarrassment before.  

“I guess it shouldn't matter who first said I did it.  In the end, I was blamed for it, so I must take responsibility for it as well.” Emmy said.

“You--” Cael began to say but hesitated, because he was afraid of what she would say next.  “What are you going to do?”

“Be a villain of course.”  Emmy said as she stared into the flames before her.

Her green eyes hid her anger as she looked back at Cael.  His sky blue eyes met hers and his body shivered with forbodence.  Before he could ask her how she would be a villain, Emmy stood up and went to her bed roll and tucked herself under her blanket and closed her eyes to sleep.  

How could Emmy just announce that she would become the villain then suddenly lay down to sleep as if she didn’t say anything. Her actions were too dumbfounding for everyone there so instead they quickly cleaned up and bunkered down for the night as the first watch of guards stayed up to keep watch over everyone.