The Peerless Slayer

The next day after eating breakfast alone in her room, Emmy quickly asked to be lead to the library. Once inside, she scanned the bookshelf until she found what she was looking for.  She brought out a thick history book and began reading it on the carpeted floor. With her legs crossed and the book on top of her legs, she quickly scanned the book and realized that she is further away from home than what she thought.  

She was born and grew up in the country of Igoh. A mid-tier country.  One with a decent size army to protect its borders and people. And an agricultural country to self sustain itself.  She did know exactly where Cherry Blossom House was located, but she knew now, that she is in the country of Lirie.

A top-tier country where the strong are the winners and the weak are the losers.  With the location of the country, the air here is different from Igoh. From the history book she was reading, there were legends of Mages and Wizards that once ruled the world.  

However with human greed came wars and the number of Mages and Wizards started to diminish.  The magic of the world started to disappear and now the only location where some magic was still present, was the country Lirie.  

Even though Mages and Wizards were things of the past. The people of Lirie still practice magic if they are gifted with the ability.  

Mages could control elements of nature.  Water, fire, earth, thunder, wind. Mages would only have one gift of element that they could control.  Since the end of the War of Magic, there has never been a Mage with two elemental control.

Wizards made spells and runes that could part seas and land. They could make amulets of protection and ward off evil spirits.  They could conjure light, tame beasts and summon ancient demons.  

The existence of Mages and Wizards were so few that there were less than 100 known people who were gifted with magic.  Because of this, royal and noble families with strong clans, would entice the Mages and Wizards to be apart of their clan.  They were treated better than the King, giving them anything and everything they wanted.

With the existence of Mages and Wizards, it became a dog eat dog world for Lirie.  Where the winners were always in the right and the losers were nothing but dead. The value of one’s life did not have any meaning to them. Only the strong survive.  Only the strong is right. Only the strong can be remembered and write history.

Emmy leaned back against the bookshelf and closed her eyes.   She was born under a malicious star. Born unlucky, unloved and unwanted by everyone except her Grandfather.  She was raised as a proper young lady, never taking up a sword or learning to defend herself. She became a victim due to her naivete and under the schemes of others.   

Emmy became determined to never be a victim again.  To never fall for other’s schemes against her. To never let herself trust anyone like she trusted Leevi or the other servants in her household.  She will always keep a smile on her face and a dagger hidden behind her back.

Especially now that she lives in Lirie.  She would need to become stronger and wiser.   

After spending the day in the library. She found the ancestors book for Seoras.  He was the only son of the previous Master Knede and Lady Margaret. However, Lady Margaret’s name was crossed out.  The reason why, Emmy did not know.

Lirie is broken up into several smaller territories that are ruled by strong families.  The Tomas Clan holds the largest territory in all of Lirie called Ceco. However everyone is loyal to the King.   Ceco is also the wealthiest and strongest territory. With Seoras ruling the territory since he was sixteen, they have had three years of war before having seven years of peace.

Emmy read about the Ceco uprising.  How Master Knede was betrayed and killed by his best friend and General Rokae.  He was the one who raised an army in secret and spread false rumors about Master Knede, making the people mistrust him.  When Knede was preoccupied wtih the uprising and riots, it was then that Rokae stabbed him in the back and claimed Ceco. What no one knew was the Seoras was born a Mage.  He had left at the age of 5 to go train with his teacher, Master Uema. When he heard of what happened to his Father, his powers became out of control and he burned with magic fever for 10 days.  After those 10 days, he was never the same. It took him three years to take back his rightful place, but those three years were bloody and brutal. His powers were so terrifying that his own people were afraid of him.  He earned the nickname, The Peerless Slayer.

“The Peerless Slayer.”  Emmy whispered as she read the name over again.  The quiet and mysterious man, she knew he was dangerous the moment she met him.  That was why she didn’t do anything to insult him. Her instincts told her that he could kill her any time he wanted.  So she was always careful around him. Always observed him and never did anything to incite trouble.

“I haven’t heard of that name in over seven years.”  Seoras said as he came into the room and sat down in the couch that faced Emmy.  “Even if people still called me that. They would never have enough courage to say it to my face.”  

Emmy quickly closed the book and got up to bow her head in greeting.  

“Don’t do that.”  Seoras commanded her as he waved his hand in the air to stop her.  “You never did that before, why should you start now?”

Emmy’s head snapped up in surprise as her right eyebrow raised up to question him.  

“Is it because now you finally know who I am, or is it because you don't want to anger me?”  Seoras asked.

Emmy did not answer as her cold emerald eyes looked away form his deep, black, pool eyes that could drown her every thought.  

“Scared to speak to me?”  Seoras asked. “Afraid I’ll kill you?”  

Emmy shook her head no.  

“Then what?”  Seoras asked.

Emmy gathered all her courage and looked at Seoras with determination.  

“Can…”  Emmy faltered before saying what she wanted to say. “Can you make me strong like you?  I...I don’t want to be weak anymore.”

Seoras smiled at Emmy and Emmy froze with fright.  His smile was not welcoming, nor was it nice. His smile was cold and wicked.  As if he had evil plans for her.

“You want to be like me?”  Seroas asked as he got up and walked towards Emmy.  He stopped right in front of her and reached out to cup her face, while his other arm lean on the book shelf, trapping her in.  Even if Emmy wanted to run away, she couldn’t. The whole castle is his home.  The whole city belongs to him. The whole territory is his. And everyone, near and far, was loyal to him and obeyed him. She couldnt escape, even is she wanted to. Emmy’s back hit the bookshelf as Seroas thumb caresses her cheek softly.

“You remember the cave?”  Seroas asked her.

Emmy’s whole body froze at the thought of the cave and what she experienced. Emmy could only nod her head once to answer him.  

“You remember the stones that were placed into you?”  Seroas asked again and Emmy nodded her head once.

“I gifted you with the Souls of Amaratu.”  Soeras said as he stepped closer to her. His body leaned into hers as his head bent down to whisper into her ear.  “I gave you the powers of a deity. I have already made you strong. Stronger than anyone could dream about. I will teach you to become stronger.  I will let you do what you want to do, say what you want to say, live how you want to live. But you must always remember, who gave you this great power.  Who taught you how to use this great power. Who gave you, your freedom.”

Emmy nodded her head again once as her heart pounded louder and louder, causing her ear to ring.

“As long as you’re loyal to me.  As long as you belong to me. As long as you stay by my side.  You can have your own life.”