Roles

When they arrived to the large castle, Emmy’s eyes enlarged in surprise, but she still did not say a word.  Her heartbeat frantically, however she didn’t let her emotions appear on her face. She kept her feelings and emotions hidden and her face still, like a wooden block.  

When they arrived in front of the castle, there were two lines of over 100 servants standing on both sides of the road, bowing at them as they alighted the carriage.  

An old gentleman with grey hair and kind grey eyes was the only person there who welcomed Master Seoras warmly.  

“Welcome back, Master Seoras!”  The old man said as he bowed once before his eyes caught sight of Emmy.

“Em.”  Seoras said as he nodded his head once and began to enter the castle right away.

Emmy and the old man quickly caught up with Seoras and without another word, the three of them entered the large receiving hall.  There were several long and large tables that could fit over 100 soldiers, with the head table on a raise dias that was reserved for important people, guests and Master Seoras.

“Sit.”  Seoras ordered Emmy as Emmy hesitated to walk up to the dais and stayed behind. But with him ordering her to sit, she did not sit with him, but instead sat on one of the lower tables and faced him.  

Emmy saw Seoras tighten his jaw in annoyance before ordering her again.  

“Sit next to me.”  He said through his clenched teeth.  

Emmy quickly got up and sat next to him.  The whole time the old man looked at what happened in awe and surprise.  Their young Master was not one who takes a liking to people easily. He is not one who seeks out company either.  And he is not one who shows kindness or mercy easily. Their Young Master is cold and aloof, but he is fair and honorable.

The old man quickly clapped his hand twice and several servants came in with trays of food and placed it in front of them.  

“Eat.”  Seoras ordered Emmy when everything was set out properly.  Emmy hesitated for a moment before she began placing food on her plate and quietly ate beside him.  

The two of them ate in silence with the old man standing to the side, moving back and forth from one feet to the other in utter anxiousness.  The one thing he could not handle is silence. Even though Master Seoras is a man of few words, he still could not get use to Master Seoras habit.  

“Speak.” Seoras said looking at the old man who couldn’t stand still to save his life.  

“Master!”  Seth said as he stepped forward and bowed.  “Reporting several events that transpired since you left.”  

“Go on.”  

Seth looked at Emmy then back at Seoras as if to see if it was okay for him to speak about private matters in front of a stranger.

“Go on.”  Seoras said again.  

“Yes, Master Seoras.”  Seth said. “First at the top of the list.  Lady Avina arrived just as you predicted. She stayed for two months before leaving four days ago with the promise to return.  Sir Gengrick states that there are no developments inside or outside of the city. Everything is as it should be.”

“Em.”  Seoras said as he reached over to the mince meat pie and placed a large slice onto a plate and placed it next to Emmy.  Then ordered her to eat more. “Eat.”

Emmy nodded her head to let him know she heard before digging into the mince meat pie.  

The words that Seth had prepared beforehand, died within his mouth as he had witnessed Master Seoras’s caring actions.  

“Continue.”  Seoras said after he saw Seth’s mouth open so big, a whole nest of bees could fly into it.  

“Continue.” He repeated.  

“Oh… ah.. yes…”  Seth said as he looked at the rare sight in front of him, trying to get his barings back.  “Yes… ah… Lady Margaret is said to be arriving tonight with Lady Posy, Lady Jane and Lady Kylee.”  

“Match making again?”  Seoras asked as he raised his right eyebrow up.  

Seth coughed once to clear his throat before he looked away and continued his report.  

“Ah, so we have cleaned and prepared four rooms in the east wing for them.  The account books are in your study. And you received a message from Prince Oliver this afternoon. It is also in you study.”  Seth continued. “Everything else can be taken care of at a later time.”

“Em.”  Seoras said as he finished eating.  The moment his fork and knife was placed on the table, Emmy also placed her fork and knife on the table.  “Eat more, if you’re still hungry.”

Emmy shook her head no as her  eyes did not look up from the table.  

“Clean the room next to mine.”  Seoras ordered Seth. “She is my guest here.  Please treat her well.”

“Yes, Master Seoras.”  Seth quickly said as he bowed his head.  

“Make sure she does not lack anything.”  Seoras told him. “Get the dressmakers here immediately.  Whatever she wants, she can have.”

With the words Seoras said, sealed Emmys fate without even knowing it.  Seoras had just declared her his woman.