Chapter 3: A Siren's lament

Jimin closed his eyes, listening to the beautiful voice from upstairs. Even if it wasn't as loud as Jimin hoped for, he kept silent to hear it. "This voice... It sounds like a man, singing to himself. His voice is as perfect as a siren's enchanting lament...." Jimin thought as the singing kept going even after the song, the male voice repeated a few more lines of the song and eventually sang a different one.

     "I am tired of this place, I hope people change...I need time to
replace what I gave away...And my hopes, they are high, I must keep them small. Though I try to resist, I still want it all
I see swimming pools and living rooms and aeroplanes...I see a little house on the hill and children's names...I see quiet nights poured over ice and Tanqueray...But everything is shattering and it's my mistake.
Only Fools fall for you...
Only Fools...
Only Fools do what I do..
Only Fools fall..."

    Jimin closed his eyes listening to the voice sing to him, just then he began to forget feeling uncomfortable on the hard carpet floor. Just this feeling, this stress relieving and calm feeling was caused by the beautiful singing. It was enough to make Jimin smile in his sleep. Eventually, Jimin fell asleep to the voice that serenaded him to slumber. But deep down, Jimin was hoping all of this wasn't just a dream. The man enjoyed the nice voice and hoped to hear it again soon.

           The next morning, Jimin woke up and yawned, stretching and gazing up at the vents. The voice stopped. It was nothing but silence now and Jimin was almost bothered he couldn't hear the voice again. He almost desired to record it and hear it over and over again, but the audio won't be able to pick up such a quiet voice almost fading into hums through the vents.

          Jimin stood up and picked up his pillow just to gaze up at the vent again before tilting his head. "T-Thank you... You have a wonderful voice! I... Hope I can hear it again tonight." Jimin said with a smile. Normally it would be odd to thank such an anonymous voice for singing early in the morning, but it was part of Jimin's kind and angelic personality. He couldn't help but to thank whoever it was! Apparition or a talented person, Jimin sticked to his manners either way. Even if it seemed insane.

            "JIMIN!" Taehyung shouted from the living room as Jimin flinched and walked over to the living room, leaving the empty bedroom with his pillow in his arms.

         "Taehyung.. It's too early in the morning for this!" Jimin whined but Taehyung was just sitting on the air mattress, staring at Jimin with a pout.

           "You left me last night! I missed you~" Taehyung joked around as Jimin rolled his eyes, walking to his luggage and dragging it to the bedroom. "So.. Is that going to be where you sleep? What about me?"

           "You'll sleep in here too. But just not on my bed when it gets here." Jimin added. "You love to hug a lot and kiss in your sleep." Jimin pointed out as Taehyung let out a laugh, standing up and following Jimin to the bedroom.

            "Where did you sleep?" Taehyung wondered as Jimin pointed to the corner of the room while he was trying to retrieve his toothbrush, toothpaste and mouthwash from the luggage. "Ah, Jimin! You could have stayed on the bed with me! You wouldn't have to sleep here on the hard ground!" Taehyung worried. Jimin turned his head to face Taehyung as he held the mouthwash, toothpaste and toothbrush in his hands.

           "You move around too much! Besides.. I actually enjoyed sleeping here. I came to sleep here and then, I heard a voice. A voice through the vents that leads to the third floor! It wasn't just casual speaking... It was singing! The voice sounded like a man and sang two songs and I listened. I doubt it was for me, but I enjoyed it! Could this be the reason why this apartment room was empty and up for rent?" Jimin wondered as Taehyung started to chuckle, watching Jimin walk to the bathroom and begin to brush his teeth.

         "Jimin! That wasn't just anybody. It was the apparition!" Taehyung stated, walking to his luggage to get his toothbrush, floss and mouthwash to brush his teeth with Jimin.

         "No! It can't be!" Jimin added, as Taehyung joined Jimin in the bathroom, beginning to rinse the brush and apply the toothpaste Jimin brought. "There's someone else that lives up there!"

           "It could be an elderly lady! From what I've heard while you were out in the docks yesterday, I've heard about the rumors. About this voiceless apparition that wanders the third floor! Some people even caught him at times!"

           "Him..?" Jimin asked brushing his teeth while Taehyung did the same and nodded in response.

            Taehyung then stopped in between to tell Jimin all about it. "That's what some people say. They see the figure and they automatically say it's a male. He is described with such a masculine body."

           "Yeah? What about the only person that lives up there?" Jimin asked as Taehyung shrugged.

          "Some say, it's an elderly lady, waiting out her final days. Maybe that apparition is like some grim reaper or even a friend. That stays there with her. How am I supposed to know?" Taehyung replied, finishing his words as he continued to gaze into the mirror and resumed brushing his teeth.

         Jimin took a moment to think about that. What if the voice he heard was an apparition all along? The thought sent chills down Jimin's spine as he gazed at the sink for a moment. "Well... I guess I'll never know until I check it out myself?"

           Just those words alone made Taehyung almost choke, coughing and quickly rinsing the minty froth from his mouth. "Are you crazy?! There is an isolated floor right upstairs that no one has ever stepped foot on and you, you want to go up there to be all buddy buddy with a ghost that was singing?! Who do you think that is? Casper the friendly ghost?! Jimin! You haven't been here for more than a week and you already want to die!" Taehyung added. Jimin let out a giggle as he used the mouthwash. After Jimin spat out the mouthwash in his mouth after swishing it around in his mouth for a good while, he looked at Taehyung, still staring at him like he was crazy. "Well?!"

         "You're overreacting, Taehyung. Someone is up there and I don't mind going upstairs to talk with him or her about the so called 'ghost' that everyone is shunning."

           "You make it seem like you want to marry this ghost! Sheesh, Jimin. I thought Journalist's were supposed to have common sense!" Taehyung continued, starting to floss.

             "Oh Taehyung, nothing is going to happen to me! I just want to talk to the man or woman upstairs. However, I think the person is a man. He was singing early this morning and I heard it! It sounded more lively than a ghost that does nothing but wails." Jimin assured his best friend he'll be alright, even if Taehyung still had doubts.

           "Fine, go ahead and get possessed! But if you die, I'm taking your stuff." Taehyung claimed making Jimin laugh and shove him playfully.

         "Fine, alright! Deal." Jimin chuckled as Taehyung glanced at Jimin again.

          "Can you atleast wait until after our furniture gets here? I'll need help moving things around before you die." Said Taehyung followed by Jimin  letting out a scoff after.

           "All I'm doing is exploring the complex! It's what a journalist would do, learn more and explore the topic more. Let me get familiar to it." The man responded. But Taehyung only tried to keep in his laugh.

           "You Journalists really are curious... And annoying." Taehyung retorted as Jimin punched the younger's shoulder again, giggling and walking out of the bathroom to get ready for his day of endless entries and words to type up. But of course, his curiousity only grew more while he was in the room, gazing up at the vents in the ceiling. Recalling the beautiful voice of the male that sang to him prior to sunrise.