Chapter 16: A benefit of the doubt

Jungkook switched the light on in his kitchen where he took out a few ingredients for the meal he wanted to cook for Jimin as soon as the older would wake up. Jungkook took out a bag of rice, one pack of meat and seasoning for the soup he could have for the side. "Does he like spicy food? Ah, I'll try only a half teaspoon of the spicy flakes..." Jungkook said to himself.  Having a guest at his house was difficult since he had to devote his time to Jimin no matter what. That was the point of having someone over. To serve them and make them feel just right at home.

           Jungkook rinsed his hands, throwing on a white apron on to cook as he resumed taking out more ingredients like, spicy pepper flakes to add a little spice but not too much, mung bean noodles to boil, the pack of beef to shred along with for cups of beef broth and other sauces and salts to give the meal flavor. Jungkook had a mindset of cooking (slightly) Spicy beef noodle soup. He added in the spice and decided to cook soup since he did figure it was cold outside. There was no use of cooking something spicy if it was going to be hot outside. Jungkook didn't know if Jimin enjoyed spicy food so he only added a bit of spice. He boiled the mung bean noodles and started to dice the two scallions for the soup.

           After a while into cooking, he wondered what was so good about his voice. It caused Jimin to fall asleep. Was it because he thought it was soothing and beautiful? Jungkook didn't think that. Mostly any other person would hear it through the vents and move away so quickly due to their fear of the ghost. However... This only left Jungkook to feel as if his voice was no better than rotten eggs.

         The boy stirred the mungbean noodles around in the pot and took out soy sauce from the cabinet. Ever since Jimin was here, he made it his main priority to treat Jimin with such great quality in everything. To sleeping on the bed, to cooking the best soup Jungkook knew he could cook. To the younger, he just didn't want to lose his first friend in a long time. Even if it seemed like forever since he met someone like Jimin, he couldn't tell if he was acting awkward or just too weird around another. 

             As Jungkook rested his head on the palm of his hand that was supported by his elbow against the marbled counter top. He pondered about the plans and the cleaning he would have to do in order to please Jimin. The last thing he wanted was to hear his apartment fall into silence.  He claimed he loved silence and being alone... But in reality, it showed him why he was such a loner. "I guess I have to clean every day, cook for him and give him the best side of me. I can't give him the worst even if the other side of me is staring right at me when I walk past a shattered mirror. Can't give him the worst so I'll give him the best. I may be filled with flaws for being this loser, but I can't show him that!  He will think I'm some idiot and he'll leave and never step foot up here again!" Jungkook worried. 

          There was no doubt he was insecure about his figure and self image. So he was ready to ditch the many things Jimin didn't like so he can keep his friend. Jungkook was so lonely, he didn't really want a friend but since Jimin showed up and met him like this... He supposed fate told Jungkook that it was time to not keep himself trapped in the room forever. 

         "W-What if he doesn't like video games?! Do I have to get rid of my collectors edition Overwatch figurines?!" Jungkook shouted in his head and slowly began to worry.  He could already feel worried and nervous about many other things about his house that was filled with video game related things. It was his job and passion, yet he worried Jimin might not be into video games.

         Unaware that he had to be himself for a friendship to work out. "A-And he's coming tomorrow!  I-I'll need to run out and get groceries for tomorrow and every other day he will show up.  Honestly... I haven't cooked like this since my birthday here..." Jungkook whispered, gazing at the pot of soup cooking and the rice cooker that was letting out steam from the small vent on the lid. "I hope he likes this."
_______________________________________

          It was about twenty minutes later, Jimin woke up in Jungkook's bed. He suddenly flinched and took off the covers to gaze at his body in worry. Hoping the younger didn't do anything crazy to him while he slept. Jimin hardly knew the boy. Yeah, Jungkook was a bright, intelligent and happy boy but, he was also silent, secretive and closed off. How could Jimin not think Jungkook might keep a dirty secret he dreaded to speak about? On the other hand, Jimin was kind, he respected Jungkook on his secrets and longed not to push the boy into telling him because one day Jimin might have a secret and he wouldn't want to be asked about it depending on what it is. Yet it still didn't change Jimin's view point of having a little extra caution against the younger. Although, he kept it from Jungkook that he had a little doubt about the boy's off behavior.

             Jimin checked his buttons on his jeans and lifted his shirt slightly to check if there was marks on his torso. Yet there was nothing there at all. Jimin stood up and checked a nearby mirror to make sure nothing was on his neck or so. With Jimin, he had trust issues and found it off how Jungkook, a boy that loved being alone, hated going out, didn't flinch at pain and admired the sea to the point where it would distract him during a simple conversation, made Jimin think he should keep an eye on his new friend until he got to know him a little more.

            Jimin stepped out to see Jungkook was just finishing up cooking as the scent of rich salted,  strips of boiled beef filled the air and the bitter soy sauce being poured onto a separate side bowl, the scent of beef soup, and mung bean noodles lured Jimin to the kitchen as Jungkook turned around holding out a bowl of the beef noodle soup. "Hello!" Jungkook said as he still held out the bowl of hot soup for Jimin. "I hope you're hungry. Please eat and enjoy it." Jungkook added as Jimin smiled and accepted the bowl, taking it back to the table and decided to help Jungkook set it up.

         "Thank you.. But you didn't have to cook for me. I could have just went back to my apartment and probably made something with my roommate. He went off to get groceries prior to me coming here." Jimin said but Jungkook got silent for a second.

          "Kim... Taehyung.. Was it?" Jungkook asked as he had to re-cook the rice due to Jimin taking long to awaken.

          "Yes that's him." Jimin responded, setting the two bowls from across each other. "I just didn't want to cause you more trouble with cooking."

          "Of course... But I made enough for the both of us so you could stay here for me.. We can talk more and get to know each other. We are friends so we should at least get to know what we like or don't like." Jungkook added as he took the two small bowl servings of soy sauce onto the table and set them beside the bowls of soup while he gazed down at Jimin who was standing by the chair across the table from Jungkook.

        "Goals, favorite things and hobbies." Jungkook concluded, making Jimin nod his head. Learning more about each other wouldn't hurt since they were friends now. But Jimin just couldn't help but to keep his eye on the boy. Even if Jungkook posed no threat towards Jimin, Jimin had a benefit of the doubt.