5. One Hundred Yard Suicides

Jayla

We had been in school for almost three weeks and it was getting closer to the start preseason. Right now we were just playing pickup, but soon we'd start lifting weights and conditioning. Since we weren't technically in season, coach couldn't come watch us play pick up, but everyone was required to come.

We were supposed to split into four teams of five, but two teams had six. I was on a team that didn't have any subs, but I also had Dani and Raquel on my team, so I knew we were gonna beat everyone. There was a blue team, a grey team, a black team, and a white team. My team was the black team. It was Dani, Raquel, Elijah, Roland, and myself. Elijah and Roland were both new. Elijah was a transfer sophomore and Roland was a freshman. They played the four and five.

Elijah was really good, but Roland was sort of clumsy. However, she was tall and blocked shots with ease. We were going up against the blue team while white and grey played on the other court. Since it was early in the morning, we got to use the multiplex.

Parker was the point guard for the blue team. I hated playing against Parker because it was so easy to see that she had it out for me. I had so many scratches from her grabbing me and I even had a few bruises from her fouling the hell out of me. Regardless of that, she still couldn't guard me. I know she felt some type of way because I'm just a sophomore and I'm gunning for a senior's spot. It's really not even her spot though. It's Malaya's spot until coach decides who's gonna start. It will be me. Unless Parker kills me first.

"Shoot for ball." Parker said roughly passing me the ball and knocking the wind out of me.

"I got it." Dani said taking the ball from me. I'm glad she did because I was about to bust Parker in her shit. She must have noticed.

I already knew Dani was going to make the shot. Her shot has been on lately. I mean, her shot has always been on, but it's like she couldn't miss. It was kinda scary.

As expected, Dani made the shot, so we got the ball first.

I got the ball at the top of the key and checked it to Parker. She threw it back at me like she did before, but I caught it. Right when I caught it, she was all in my face. I didn't trip since she was actually playing defense. Something she doesn't do in the game. Someone's been practicing.

I passed the ball to Dani on the wing and she gave it to Elijah on the block. Elijah hit one of her many post moves and easily scored on one of the other freshman post players named Madison.

"Good move, EJ." I gave Elijah her props.

Madison took the ball out and passed it in to Parker. Parker's defense was ass, but she had pretty good handles. Mine were better though.

I played up on Parker and she started pushing off, but it didn't help her much. I was on her the same way she was on me. I guess she got frustrated because she ended up dropping her shoulder into me and knocking me down. She used so much forced that she ended up falling on top off me.

I roughly pushed her off of me and before I could do anything else Dani grabbed me and pulled me away from her.

"You better not." She spoke sternly and I sighed.

"I wasn't even gonna do anything." I lied. I was about to punch the fuck out of Parker. Call me a hothead. I don't care, but Dani's not gonna be there to save her every time.

"That's an offensive foul." Raquel spoke and Parker scoffed.

"How when she's the one fouling me? She pulled me down." Parker lied like the little bitch she was.

"I have no reason to foul you. You're trash." I laughed.

"Bitch, you're trash. That's why your own fucking family doesn't want you."