15. Cherry Pie

Excuse any mistakes or grammatical errors.

Malaya

I didn't get any sleep because I was up all night calling Raquel. Eventually my calls started going straight to voicemail, so I knew she'd turned her phone off.

It wasn't until early this morning that I got a text from her saying that she was still coming to pick me up from the airport. I never went to sleep, so I just got my stuff together and then took a shower.

Sloan got up while I was putting my pajamas into my suitcase and I could feel her eyes on me, but I didn't address her. I fucking hate her. It's not like it's all her fault because I gave into her advances, but I still fucking hated her and I hated myself.

I have the most perfect girlfriend in the world and I ruined everything in one night. I'm such a fucking liar. I won't even be able to look Raquel in the face. I glanced down at my promise ring and slid it off of my finger as guilt filled my body. I was wearing it when I cheated.

"I'm sorry." Sloan spoke out of nowhere and just the sound of her voice pissed me off. I could feel hot tears of anger and regret
brimming eyes.

"Fuck you! Your apology doesn't mean shit and if it wasn't already obvious, I fucking quit."

"You don't have to quit. Nothing like this will ever happen again. I wasn't in the right head space last night."

"Have you ever been in the right fucking headspace, Sloan?! You're a fucking creep! What part of stop don't you understand? I fucking begged you not to. You already knew what you were capable of. You knew I'd give in. Why couldn't you just leave me the fuck alone?!" I yelled. "I'm going to lose her. I can't fucking lose her."

I hated that I was sobbing uncontrollably in front of Sloan. She was probably happy that my relationship was ruined. This is exactly what she wanted to happen.

"I'm sorry, Malaya, but you don't have to quit."

"How do you expect me to work with you? My girlfriend, if I even still have a girlfriend, didn't want me working with you because she knew this would happen. Do you really think I'm going to keep working with you if hell freezes over and she doesn't break up with me? Fuck you, Sloan. I quit."

"Listen to me. If you quit, you think anyone else is going to hire you with your lack of experience? Don't quit. You don't even have to work on the same floor as me. I'll let you use one of the offices on the upper level. Any questions you have for me or that I have for you can be asked over the phone. You won't even have to see my face." Sloan tried to convince me and I couldn't understand why she was trying so hard.

"Why won't you just let me quit? It's not like you're going to have trouble finding another assistant. If you're worried I'm going to tell, I won't say anything. It's not like I didn't give in to you."

"This isn't about that. This is about the potential I see in you. I would like for you to be a doctor in my office one day. Once you're done with all of your schooling. I'll hire you on the spot. Or I'll put in a recommendation for you to work in another facility. Just don't quit. I promise you that nothing like this will ever happen again. You have to admit that I'd been on my best behavior up until last night. It was just that last night, you let me talk to you and cry on your shoulder and I took it the wrong way. I was vulnerable. And I'm sorry."

I couldn't tell whether or not Sloan was being deceptive. I really needed my job and if I quit, I'd have to ask my parents for money and that's the last thing I wanted to do.

"I'll have to talk to Raquel. I'm gonna do whatever she wants me to do."

"This is your future career we're talking about. Relationships come and go-"