36. Ambush

Excuse any mistakes or grammatical errors.

Raquel

"Hey beautiful." Malaya greeted me as I walked through the door of our home.

"Hey, that's my line." I playfully glared at her before walking over to the couch where she was sitting and giving her a quick kiss on the lips. "What are you doing home so early?"

"Sloan said she had to go handle some business, so she let me leave early." Malaya shrugged.

"Cool." I said laying down so my head was in Malaya's lap. She instantly started playing in my hair and I sighed in contentment.

"Guess what." Malaya spoke just as I was about to doze off.

"What?"

"Naz called today and apparently Nadia's therapist says that she's making a lot of progress. They plan on releasing her soon as long as she has regular sessions with her therapist. That's basically what she's getting there anyway since she doesn't want to be on medicine. She'll also still have group therapy as well since she actually likes it." Malaya informed me.

"So is she coming back to school?" I asked and Malaya shook her head.

"No. She likes the online classes better and she told her therapist she didn't feel like she was ready to be back on campus yet. She'll finish the semester online and then go back to campus next year."

"That's great. I'm glad things worked out for her. So when is she getting released? Like is there a set date?" I asked and Malaya nodded her head.

"They would have let her leave this week, but she wants to finish out the month for some reason. I have a feeling this is about her roommate though." Malaya chuckled. "She likes her. When I visited her last week, she wouldn't shut up about her. It was Ro this and Ro that. It's so disgustingly cute."

"So does Dani know she's being released?" I asked and Malaya sighed.

"Nas told me not to tell her, so I'm assuming that means Nadia doesn't want her to know."

That's weird. I figured Dani would be one of the first people that Nadia wanted to know she was coming home. I was pretty out of the loop on things with Dani these days because I don't see her as much since basketball season ended. And since I don't live on campus anymore, I don't have the pleasure of her coming to my apartment to annoy me like I used to.

"Are she and Dani not on good terms or something? I know Dani didn't visit her anymore after the first time, but I figured they made that decision mutually. I also thought they were staying in touch." I expressed my confusion.

"They stayed in touch for a little while after Dani visited, but after that, they stopped. I'm not really sure what's going on between them. Every time I bring Dani up these days, Nadia changes the subject. But whatever it is, I'm sure they'll figure it out eventually. I'm just happy she's doing better. That's all I really care about. No offense to Dani of course. I just care way more about Nadia's mental health than her love life. They're young. They have time."

"True." I nodded in agreement.

Malaya was right. Nadia and Dani would figure things out.

"So, aside from that good news, I have some other good news." I said sitting up and smiling at Malaya.

"And what's that?" Malaya asked raising her eyebrows expectantly.

"I'm madly in love with you." I spoke like the huge dork that I was.

"You're so annoyingly cute." Malaya rolled her eyes. "Who would have thought I'd get stuck with such a cornball for life?"

"I don't see a ring on this finger." I said holding up my left hand and wiggling my naked ring finger.