18. Number 22

Excuse any mistakes or grammatical errors.

Daniella

"I miss your mom, so much. I'm so ready to get back home." Jayla said as she packed the things she was taking home for Thanksgiving Break.

"I miss her too, but I'm not in a rush to get back."

Going back home meant finally having "the talk" with my mom and by "the talk" I mean her actually explaining what's going on between her and Nadia's dad, Mr. Nas. Nadia and I are doing great. We're doing better than we've ever been and I don't want anything coming in between that. I've never really been pissed at my mom, but I can't lie and say I'd be happy if there is something going on between them. If it was anyone else, then sure, but Mr. Nas, out of all people? My girlfriend's dad? Why him? If they get serious and eventually get married, Nadia and I won't be able to be together. That may not be an issue to some, but I really wouldn't be comfortable dating my step sister.

What makes it worse is that us breaking up wouldn't mean things would be normal. All the feelings we have would still be there. I'm in love with Nadia and I don't see that ever changing. It would be so unfair of our parents to ruin that for us. Like yeah, the heart wants what the heart wants, but Nadia and I met first. We fell in love first. Ew. Please don't let our parents be in love. I can't think about this anymore.

"I need to go for a walk or something." I stood up from my bed and Jayla frowned.

"You want me to come with you? What's wrong?" She asked momentarily stopping her packing.

"Nothing, I just need some fresh air."

I hadn't told anyone the real reason why Nadia and I broke up. Nadia told Raquel and Chastity, but other than them, no one knew. I wanted to keep it that way. This whole situation was messed up.

"Is this about the game tomorrow? I promise if she tries anything I'll-"

"You won't do anything." I cut Jayla off. "You're not doing anything that's going to get you kicked off the team. I won't allow it."

"But I'm not gonna just sit there and allow someone to hurt you and it's not like you'll defend yourself." Jayla crossed her arms like a child.

"Don't play me for a little bitch. I don't fight. I never said I can't fight, but it won't even come to that. I'm gonna be on my best behavior this game."

Jayla straight faced me.

"You and I both know that's a lie. When are you ever on your best behavior?"

She had a point.

"I resent that." I pretended to be offended. "I will not trash talk tomorrow. I learned my lesson. Besides, I'm gonna let my skill do all the talking."

"Yeah, we'll see."

Jayla didn't seem convinced at all.

She was worried because our last game before the break is against the same team we played in the conference championship game. Which meant we'd be playing against the girl that purposely made me break my ankle. Number 22. I found out after the game that her name is Jade Jackson. Sounds like the name of an evil bitch if you ask me. I was really angry during the early stages of my recovery and I planned on getting revenge on her, so I checked their roster to find out her name.