22. Meeting The Rents

Excuse any mistakes or grammatical errors.

Malaya

Thankstaking...I mean Thanksgiving Day came a lot faster than I wanted it to. Even though I had decided to bring Raquel along with me, I couldn't help, but to be nervous about her meeting my parents. I don't know if I'd ever be able to forgive my parents for making Raquel feel unwelcome in their home.

"The light is green and the people behind you seem pissed." Raquel's voice pulled me out of my thoughts.

"I zoned out." I said forcing out a laugh. Unfortunately for the people behind me, right as I was pulling off, the light started to change.

"You got all those people caught by the light!" Raquel laughed as if it was the funniest thing ever. "They're gonna catch up with us and try to run us off the road."

Sometimes I forget how goofy Raquel is. Like the situation was not that funny, yet she was almost in tears.

"Shut up." I said unable to hold back laughter of my own since hers was contagious.

"I'm sorry."

Raquel and I spent the rest of the ride to my parent's house laughing at the dumbest things. We laughed at anything from billboard signs to people's bumper stickers. I've come to the conclusion that we're both idiots.

-

When we finally pulled up to my house I instantly got a bad feeling in my stomach. I always did when ever I came here. It was even worse while I was still living here.

"Wow." Raquel said looking at my parents' house in awe. She acts like she isn't used to nice houses. The house she grew up in looked just as nice and big as mine.

"Yours is just as big." I chuckled as I took my seatbelt off.

"Yeah, because my parents had five kids." Raquel pointed out and I just nodded my head in understanding.

"Let's get this over with."

Raquel and I got out of my car and headed to the front door of the house.

I sighed lightly before ringing the door bell and my heart rate instantly picked up after doing so because I knew one of my parents was gonna come to the door at any minute.

I heard the lock on the door click and my sudden nerves were momentarily settled when the person on the other side was Nadia.

"Thank God you're here. Your parents are being weird." Nadia said opening the door all the way, so Raquel and I could walk in. "You actually brought her here? You've got guts."

"Should I be worried?" Raquel asked and Nadia and I just looked at each other before saying, "Yes."

"Well, I'm not. Parents love me." Raquel shrugged.

She was still being naively positive about what she was walking into. My poor baby.

"Where are they?" I asked and Nadia pointed in the direction of the kitchen.

"Come on." I said grabbing Raquel's hand and lacing our fingers together.

I just need to rip the bandaid off. I'm going to introduce her as my girlfriend and whatever happens happens.

As we were walking towards the kitchen, Raquel was looking around the house and her eyes locked on a picture of Melanie.

"That's my mom." Nadia spoke up having noticed Raquel examining the picture as well.

"You look like her." Raquel said glancing at Nadia and then back at the picture.

"I know." Nadia spoke in a soft voice as she looked at the picture with a sad expression.