Chapter 13- Who...are you again?

All the matches had been fought, although Zakai slept through them all, missing the victors and successors. It was now time for one on one battles, and it was Yang with a guy named...Mercky? Zakai couldn't quite remember, but he honestly didn't care either. He watched as the battle started.
  'He fights like Yang,' Zakai thought as he saw them exchanging punches and kicks.
  It looked like Yang was winning, until a tornado of air seemed to form around Yang.
  'Is that his Semblance?" Zakai wondered as the bullets of wind crashes into Yang.
  "Seems she lo-" his jaw dropped at the sight he saw. She had basically one Aura left as she got up and attacked the dude, defeating him.
  The crowd started cheering. At this point, Zakai was walking away, not truly caring to watch.
'What's the fun in watching a fight? It's barely fun to even BE in one.' He thought.
He was eating a bowl of noodles when he heard the next fighters. Some girls named Pen and Urah? Zakai wasn't listening, so the names where of course wrong, but he could care less. It isn't his fight, so he doesn't need to focus on it.
He looked at the noodles and at the way they drifted around in the bowl of soup, like bodies in a river....

*Flash back*

"J-James....Sarah....Rick...?" 13 year old Zakai called softly as he crawled out of the bushes he hid in.
He looked around to see their camp ripped to shreds and blood splattered every where.
"Oh no...," he put his hands over his mouth as he gagged at the site in front of him.
Sarah was missing an arm and half her face, while Rick was missing his guts and stomach.
'James! Where's James?' He thought as he looked around. A soft thumb against wood caught his attention.
He ran to the source to see James floating in the shallow end of the river where his head just bumped into a log. He was missing both his arms and his left leg.
"Za....kai...?" James said weakly.
"James!" Zakai ran up to him, not caring about the blood getting on his clothes.
"Zakai...p-please...k-k-kill...me..." his voice sounded like he was speaking from a far away place.
"What? I-I can't do that. You're my friend!" Zakai cried.
  "P-Please. It hurts...it hurts so much..." blood oozed out James's mouth.
  Sobbing, Zakai unsheathed the dagger James had in his boot.
  "I'm sorry," he cried as he raised it above his head.
  "You shouldn't....apologize....because I...should be thanking you," James smiled weakly.
  Without closing his eyes he slashed down.

  *present*

  A hand on his shoulder brought him back to the present.
  "Huh?" He turned around to see the girl with short black hair from the lockers and the entrance ceremony.
  "Hi again," she smiled. Zakai narrowed his eyes. He didn't like the look she had in her eyes nor the experience that came with it.
  "What?" He asked.
  "Oh, feisty. I like that," she grinned. "I want you to listen to what I have to say, and hopefully join us. But first, let me introduce myself. My name is Cinder." Zakai said nothing. "Not much of a talker, huh? Good, cause all you need to do is listen." She spoke quietly. "Me and my...accomplices are about to make history, we will go down in history. We plan to bring beacon down, and we can use someone like you, someone strong and non-caring," she looked him in his eyes the whole time. He showed no sign of interest, nor fear. "So, what do you say?" She asked.
"What do I think?" He replied. "I think you're crazy. Do what you want, I don't care. Joking or serious, I won't stop you either way. But don't try and get me involved with your petty dreams and goals. That's not my style." He stood up and began walking away.
"You'll regret that," Cinder said after him. "And I hope you aren't to fond of any of those...girls," she added. "Because of you, we will kill all of them." Zakai stopped walking and turned around halfway.
"What did I say about involving me with your petty goals and ideals? I said to keep me out of it! I could care less if you kill them, they aren't my responsibility, non of these students are. It's their job and their team to protect themselves and each other. So shut the hell up and get out of my sight."
"Hm, I thought you'd react this way, but I was never gonna let you get away that easily," Cinder grinned. "Emerald," she called.
A girl emerged from the shadows and put her hand on his face.
Before he could react, everything went black.

He woke up on the ground, surrounded by people with worried faces.
'Where am I? What am I doing on the ground?' He thought as he got up slowly. He looked around and realized he was at Beacon Academy.
"Oh, right. It's the festival or whatever," he mumbled as he scratched the back of his head. "Guess I should go see how the fights going." He made his way to the stadium, heading through a corridor to reach the stands.
A body was flung into him as soon as he walked through the doors.
"Ack!" The wind was knocked out of him.
"Zakai! I'm so sorry!" A girl in all red apologized.
"Huh? Oh, it's fine." He said standing up. He saw a man in grey attire in front of them.
'Was he the one who did that?' He thought.
"Zakai, I need your help, please! I can't get past him, and I think Penny is in danger."
"Who....are you again?" He asked the girl in confusion. Wondering why a stranger knows his name and why she's asking him for help.
"Huh? What do you mean? It's me, Ruby."
'...who?'
"Oh yeah, sorry, forgot for a second," he lied.
"Good, now please help me. Can you hold him off?" She asked as she looked at the man ahead of them.
Zakai inspected him. "I think I can handle him," Zakai replied.
"Good, then I'll be going," she took off at high speeds.
"I don't think so red," the guy went to stop her.
"I don't think so, kid," Zakai stepped in front of him, stopping his attack on Ruby.
  He shoulder charged him, skidding the guy a few inches away.
  "Tsk, you're in the way, Zakai." The man said. 
  "So what?" Zakai shrugged cockily. "I tend to always be in the way, just an inconvenience."
  "Heh, I like you," he said. "The names Mercury." He said.
  "Oh? Like the planet, or the metal?" Zakai asked.
  "What's the difference?"
  Zakai shrugged a reply. "Doesn't matter, all that matters is that I won't let you get past me," Zakai got in a combat stance when the stadium went into chaos.
  Zakai looked back.
  "Well, I'll be seeing ya," Mercury said as he walked off.
  Zakai debated to stop him or not, he decided to go to the one girl who called herself Ruby.
  He found her on her hands and knees, crying.
   'what's going o-' He looked at the stadium to see a girl, no, a robot? Cut into pieces.
  "Penny...." Ruby cried.
  Zakai just stood there, not saying a word. Ruby grabbed the hem of his shirt and pulled herself up slowly. "She's dead..." she cried into his shirt. "Why....?"
  'Uhhh....' He thought. His first instinct was to push away, but decided not to and instead held the back of her head softly.
  "I'd say it's going to be okay, but it's not..." Zakai said softly. "But you know what? The world will move on whether you laugh or cry, it'll keep spinning, moving forward. Which is what you need to do, all of us. Push forward."
  "...." she said nothing, but her sobbing and crying stopped. After a while she finally spoke, "you're right...the people who did this, will pay." She sounded pissed.
  "They will, they will indeed."
  He sounded calm, but deep down, something was burning, hot and ready to burst....and that 'thing' was about to be used, as Grimm soon attacked the arena.