Chapter 46- I promise you

"Zakai....you need to wake up..." A voice echoed around him. Wait...that voice...sounded familiar? "Open your eyes, idiot!" His eyes shot open and he found himself in a canvas of white. He was looking at himself once again.
  "Idiot?" He asked, his head tilted.
  "Yes! Do you know what you've done!"
  "Hey, stop yelling at me. No I don't know what I did."
  "Tsk! You made a deal with Salem."
  "Salem? You mean the women that created the Grimm and got my friends and family killed?! No I didn't. I haven't even met her!"
"You idiot!" He was grabbed by the collar. "Salem is the women you've been speaking too!" Zakai pushed himself away from the other him.
"Don't touch me you...abomination!"
"Abomination?" The other Zakai looked at him his eyes narrowed.
"Salem isn't evil," the words came out his mouth like butter. It felt right. "You are. And everyone trying to stop her is evil as well!"
"Zakai....no...no! Wake up Kai! Snap out of it!" He punched Zakai. "Salem is evil! She's the reason you've been hurt so much and the reason you lost everything!"
"No...you're wrong," he wiped his mouth of the blood. His eyes were different. They were no longer blue, they were a crimson red. "It's because I was weak. It wasn't her fault. It was my own. And she helped me! She saved me from becoming a Grimm!"
"IDIOT! You're not becoming a Grimm! It's-"

"Zakai?" Ruby shook him awake.
"Wha-" he shot up out of bed, sweat pouring down his face and over his body.
"Are you okay?" She asked. Her eyes were worried and they soon become full of fear.
"W-what's wrong, Ruby?" He asked, confused as to why she was looking at him like that.
"Y-your eyes. They're red, not blue...what happened?"
"Huh? Oh...well I can't see my eye color so I didn't know that. But I'd assume it's the Grimmification," he lied out his teeth. He knew Salem was watching through his eyes. He couldn't help but smile at that thought. "I think it's kinda cool, yeah?"
"No," she replied. "Your blue eyes looked so sweet and kind. These...they look evil. Like they're staring through me."
"...." he didn't say anything. What was he supposed to say? Salem was watching? He couldn't betray his Queen like that.
Wait...Queen? Salem isn't my Queen...Ruby i-
"Agh!" He grabbed his head as a sharp pain shot through it.
"Are you okay?" Ruby asked worriedly.
"Y-yeah....," he replied. "I guess it was just a random pain."
"Okay, good." She smiled softly. "Well, anyway. You won't believe this."
  "What?" He asked.
  "We have a new mission. We're going to clear a mine of Grimm."
  "Oh?" He smiled softly. "I'm down for some action." He said as he stood up.
  "I like the hair," he smiled. "And the fit." She blushed at that.

  "So, are you ready?" Ruby asked as they were above the mission zone.
  "Yep," he replied. Ruby jumped out with a laugh. She started using her Scythe to slow her fall by shooting.
  "Now how do I get down?" He tapped his Grimm like finger on his cheek. After everyone found out about his arm, he hadn't been hiding it. At least not from them. He hides it in public. "Hmmm..." everyone else began jumping one by one. He decided on a basic fall. He turned around and saluted the pilot, who saluted back.
  He then fell backwards, head first. The wind rushed through his hair and blew it in his face. It cooled his skin as the sound of the wind flying past him filled his ears. The ground got closer and closer until he knew he needed to start slowing his fall.
  Electricity sparked around him and as that happened black mist started misting off his body.
"GAH!" Immediately his semblance dispersed and the mist started evaporating more. He started spinning mid fall as he felt the Grimmification running up his arm. Ignoring the pain he twisted back and straightened his fall out. He didn't know how to explain it, but he felt...different. The world was greyscale yet he felt like he could see more. Feel more. Right before he hit the ground he spun really hard. A gust of wind burst from the spin, stopping his fall as he landed smoothly on his feet.
The mist stopped evaporating off his body and he sighed as the pain vanished.
"Are you okay?" Ruby asked worriedly as she ran up to him. "Yeah, I'm fine I jus-"
"Zakai?" Harriet, one of the ace ops, approached him.
"Yes?" He replied, his eyes narrowed.
"Well, I know we were all assigned a mission, but IronWood asked me to inform you that you have a different mission."
"Oh?" He crosses his arms. "And what's that?"
"Well, he asked that you go to the border. He says there's some issues with some people. He didn't inform me much. Said you'll be informed on the way there." As they said this, a crate truck pulled up and stopped. It's back doors opened and in there were four soldiers. All who looked to be newbies.
"Tsk. What? You think I can't handle this mission?" He started misting. "So you assigned me with a bunch of new-"
"Kai," Ruby touched her hand to his. He breathed in deeply and slowly. The misting stopped and he sighed.
"Fine," he grumbled as he got into the back. "But if they all die because of some unlucky event....well I guess it's my fault, what with my luck."
No one said anything as the doors shut behind him.

No one had said a word for the past ten minutes or so. The air seemed tense and nervous.
"So," Zakai decided to break the silence. "I was told I'd be informed. So inform me."
"Well....the borders have recently begun to be attacked heavily by Grimm, so were being sent there to help fight them off."
"Heavily?" He asked. "Like actually, or figuratively?"
"...Well..." one of the soldiers, a girl, replied. "From w-what we know. At least four people have died from the attacks. We were the replacements...but then IronWood said that we'd be getting you to help us."
"....I see..." 'Great now I feel like a douche for what I said...'
"Look, I'm sorry about what I said earlier. About if you all die and calling you newbies."
"Well...you aren't wrong. We are newbies. We all just joined the military, and we got assigned to this. But thanks anyway," the girl smiled at him.
"What's your names?" He asked them.
"Sophie," the girl replied.
"Hanji," the man who informed him was next.
"I'm Riley," the third answered.
"Parker," the final one replied.
"Okay then, Sophie, Hanji, Riley, Parker." Zakai smiled softly. "I promise you. I won't let any of you die."