Chapter 57-Shadow

The wind bit at Zakai's ears as he made his way through the snow, his scarf wrapped tightly around his face to keep it warm. He had a glove on his left hand, while his right arm, the Grimm arm, felt no cold.
One of the shapeshifters, as Zakai calls them, lunged at him. It hadn't mimicked anyone, so he saw it's true form. It was a black, ugly being. It's bones showed, alms it as if it was always starved.
He slashed its hand off with his sword, while in his other hand he held the dust sword. He was using a fire dust to create a flame blade, keeping him warm but also creating a little light for him to see.
The crunching of the snow behind him altered him of another Grimm behind him. He quickly turned, using the flame blade to slash at it, just for him to stop right before he cut Silvias head in two.
"What are you doing!" He demanded. "I told you to stay inside!"
"I know," she began. "But I can't have you do everything! I hate feeling useless!" He understood those feelings. He hated feeling useless too. No, he hated being useless. And now he has the power to not be. But her...
"Okay, fine," he said precariously. "But you stick close to me! Like glue on paper, you understand that?"
"Okay!" She smiled as she walked to the left of him. She grabbed the dust sword and took it from his hand, holding it in her left hand, she grabbed his right hand with hers and squeezed tightly. "Now, as long as I don't let go, we won't lose each other."
"Yeah, but I have to let go to be able to fight them."
"Well I'll let go then, but it's on you if you get to far away from me because of fighting."
"On you. But okay, let's stick with me being at fault." He continued walking, looking left and right, waiting for the Grimm to appear. He knew there were more around, his shadow was telling him to stay alert.
"So, how life been?" She asked as they continued walking around.
"Same old same old. Had to steal an airship from the military, killed a Leviathan Grimm, became a Commander in the Army, fun stuff."
"You stole an airship from the military, and then they made you a commander? That makes no sense."
"I know, right?" He laughed softly. "And the only reason I became one was because I lost a fight because this dude cheated and hit me in the back of the head when I was protecting others."
"Sounds cheap."
"It was." He growled lowly.
"How's Ruby and everyone?"
"Oh, Ruby is do-" Wait...how does she know her na- in an instant Zakai was sent flying back into a tree. "ACK!" Blood splattered out his mouth onto the snow under him.
"Oops. Gave it away," the Grimm laughed softly, it's voice slowly went from Silvias sweet voice, to a cracked, drowned one.
"Son of a bitch!" He hissed as he fell to his hands and knees. He looked at the Grimm. It still looked like Silvia as it lifted his sword up and inspected the flame.
"Strange how you...humans need light in order to see." It started. "Funny, how humans claim to be the be all, end all, yet when the natural state of the world is darkness, you are the ones who can't see." It smiled as it looked at him. "So why don't we turn the lights off, and see who you really are." It blew the fire on his sword out.
Darkness surrounded Zakai, followed by complete silence. He could hear the blood rushing through his ears, and his heart beating against his chest.
He reached into his pouch and pulled gout another sword so he had two. He blinked slowly and when he opened his eyes again he could see everything.
There was nothing around him, no Grimm, nothing except....footsteps?
"Zakai!" Silvia called out. "I-I'm scared," she began. "Where are you! You need to come back. It's 3am and a blizzard is coming soon."
His eyes winded in fear. "Silvia!" He yelled out.
"Zakai?" She called back. "Where are you?"
"J-just keep talking!" He demanded. "Don't stop, please!"
"U-okay. Hmm...I-well I like you...like a lot...and I hate that your seeing someone. I feel that me and you are...I don't know. Just a perfect fit. We're the exact same." She rambled on. His face went red, though he couldn't tell, as his face was nearly numb at this point, but he didn't think about anything except finding her. He had to find her!
There!
His shadow alerted him she was near. He turned left and saw her, two of her. "Oh, Zakai!" She smiled and waved. She had no idea about the Grimm behind her. It raised his broken sword above its head, ready to stab it into her neck.
"Silvia, no!" He reached his hand out. Time seemed to slow down as the Grimm began its decent of the blade down to her neck. Her expression changed slowly as she caught in her vision the Grimm behind her.
He felt useless. Another person was going to die in front of him on his watch. Another person that's important to him is going to die....
NO! His eyes began to glow blue brightly. "I WON'T LET YOU TAKE HER FROM ME!" A Grimm arm reached past Zakai's. His eyes widened as he began to turn his head, only to see the Grimm zoom past him and go for Silvia.
Time went back to normal as the Grimm tackled the Silva Grimm. Silvia, the real one, fell to her knees, frozen in shock.
Zakai ran to her, letting the two Grimm fight each other. He went to his knees as he reached her and grabbed her and began checking her for injuries. "Are you okay?" He asked as he tilted her neck left and right. "Oh thank goodness!" He pulled her into a hug, a tear falling down his left cheek. "I thought you were going to die..." he said shakily.
"Y..you saved me, right?" She looked at him.
"W-what do you mean? Of course I did."
"So...then...what was the Grimm that saved me? It came out your shadow."
"Yeah...that...is a long story." He smiled softly, still holding onto her tightly. "And I'd love to tell you, as soon as we both get back to the house."