Chapter 24- The Glowing Crystlas

(Hey guys. So I made Zakai have a super confusing backstory. We don't know much about what has happened to him, besides the dragon attacking his town, as well as bits and pieces of his past seen from flashbacks. So, I decided to do a chapter dedicated to his past, or some of it at least. I hope you enjoy 😊)

  Every morning Zakai would  wake up to the sweet smell of freshly cooked food and baked bread. This is because his parents were the best cooks(and bakers) in the whole town. Some even say they're better than many of them around remnant, seeing as how many travelers from other town and villages, even cities, come to get some of they're renowned food.
  This was a big deal, especially for his parents. They knew that with this, they could keep their son safe and give him everything he ever wanted, Zakai, however, was never really happy about it.
  This was because he was never able to sleep in, seeing as the how before they even opened they'd have a line of people waiting for food.
  This morning was different though. He didn't wake up to a sweet smell, nor the sound of furnaces being heated. Instead he awoke to a gentle shaking from his mother.
  "Kai, wake up my little Kai."
  The sweet sound of his mother's voice dragged him from his slumber and opened his eyes.
  "Hmm..."
  "I'm just letting you know that we're closed today, so I was waking you up to let you know. We've been so busy that we ran out of most of our ingredients, so we had to close for today."
  This was the first time in years that this has happened. And the only reason it had happened was because Josh, Zakai's father and her husband had forgotten to go shopping the week before. She, of course scolded him, but that also didn't do much. She knew how busy they both were, but it didn't mean she couldn't vent off some anger. Though her husband always just laughed at her at moments like that, which always led to her laughing as well.
  "Why don't you go out and play? Everyone else is awake, and Yue is about to be back from her hunting trip."
  At the sound of Yue's name, he perked up, he tried playing it off as he pain in his leg. His mother knew better though, but didn't say anything.
  "Alright, I'll change and go greet her, I guess. It's not because I want to though, it's because if I don't she'll cry."
  "Whatever you say." His mother just shrugged sarcastically.
  He had gotten ready and dressed. His attire consisted of all white clothes. White pants that stopped at his ankles, he wore white slippers, and a white shirt.
  As he ran out to the grounds where the hunters returned, he passed a small group of his friends.
  "Hey, Kai! You wanna play with us?" 
  "No, he's off to go see his girlfriend."
  "I thought it was his sister?"
  "No you idiot! He calls her big sis but that's because he looks up to her."
  "More like likes her!"
  "Wait, then why would he call her big sis?"
  He ignored them and continued running until he reached the Hunting Ground, where he had made it just in time to see all the hunters returning from the forest.
  These weren't hunters like the ones that hunt Grimm, they were hunters that hunt animals. No one in this village was a huntsman or huntress, they were a normal village. Though that's doesn't mean there haven't been several kids and adults who left and became huntsman and huntresses.
  "Hey, Zakai!"
  It was Yue who greeted him as she ran up to him.
  "Did you miss me?" She squatted down to be eye contact with him. There was a small twinkle in her eyes.
  "Not really."
  "HUH?!" He grinned at her reaction.
  "Wait, did you want me to miss you, Big Sis?" He put one hand on his hip and closed one eye. His signature move for being sarcastic.
  "No."
  "HUH?!"
  This time it was Yue's turn to grin.
  "Wait, did you want me to miss you, Kai?" She closed one eye and stuck her tongue out a little.
  "We aren't getting anywhere with this." Zakai quickly changed the subject.
  "Hey, don't ignore my ques-"
  "So what all did you catch? Knowing you, I'm sure it was amazing!"
  "Aww, don't flatter me like that. We actually didn't catch anything big, well, except for the bear I killed."
  "YOU KILLED A BEAR!" His eyes twinkled with excitement.
  "She did."
  The voice that spoke belonged to Han. He was the head hunter, though he knew he was nothing compared to Yue.
  "All by herself too."
  "What!" This time Zakai's voice wasn't filled with excitement, but more worry. "How could you be so stupid?!"
  "Huh?" Yue looked surprised.
  "What if you had gotten killed?! I never would have seen you again!" His eyes teared up.
  "Oh, I uh..."
  "We said the same thing." Han put his hand on top of Zakai's head. "And when we asked her the same question, you know what she answered?"
  Yue's face turned red with embarrassment at what was about to be said.
  "She said 'I wanted to impress him...to see that smile that fills my heart with warmth.'" He repeated her words to the tea.
"Really?!"
Zakai sounded more surprised than anything. Yue, of course, didn't reply. She just looked at the ground with her face as red as a tomato.
"Well, you don't have to risk your life to impress me." He had walked up to her and put his hand on top of her head.
It was moments like this that made Yue's heart flutter, no matter how much she didn't want it to. He acted mature and grown in situations like this, and she knew he would grow up to make a great man.
"Just you coming back and telling me about the hunt impresses me, hearing how you tracked it and hunted it." He closed his eyes as he smiled.
Yue said nothing, just looked at his smile, her face still red. The moment was interrupted by a karate chop on her head from him.
"SO NEVER DO SOMETHING SO STUPID AGAIN, IDIOT!"
"OWIE!" She grabbed her head where he chopped her. "WHO YOU CALLING 'IDIOT', IDIOT!"
"Oh grow up!" He waved off her comeback like it was childish, cause it was just that. "Why don't you act like the grown girl you are and be mature!"
Her face became flustered at his words.
"F-FINE! I WILL act like a grown up! In fact, I'll do what most girls do when they turn of age in this village. I'll look for a boyfriend so he can hunt for me and I won't have to put myself in danger."
Zakai froze in place and the world seemed to zoom out as the word 'boyfriend' echoed in his head over and over again.
"NO!" He tackled her as he broke out of his trance.
"No what?!" She wrestled with him as they rolled around on the dirt, the entire village watching with amusement in their eyes.
They all knew that when Zakai would grow up, he would marry her, and Yue was waiting just for that. It was why she hadn't gotten a boyfriend, though she didn't know the reason she rejected them was because she loved Zakai, not yet at least.
"I won't allow you to get a boyfriend!"
"Well why not?! You told me to grow up!"
"Because I...I...." His face turned red and she stopped wrestling. Her heart beat increased.
"B-because what?"
"Because I....I don't want a big brother! That'd be weird!" She frowned and pinned him to the ground.
"Well to bad! Now you're gonna have one!" She grinned.
"No! Only you! I only want you!"
Though what he meant was he only wanted her as a 'sibling' the way it was worded made Yue's heart flutter, and her entire face turned red as she became flustered.
"Z-Z-Zakai...So that's how you feel..."
"...Yeah...."
"Well...me too..."
They where both thinking two separate things, yet they both were both continuing the conversation like they were speaking of the same thing.
"Get off the ground you two."
It was Han who once again interrupted them as he grabbed them by their collars and lifted them up. He was able to hold Zakai midair, but Yue was older and taller, so all he managed to do to her was get her back on her feet.
  "Sorry..." Zakai averted his eyes as he dangled in the air. Yue just pouted.
  He let them both go and sighed.
  "Now don't you two love birds go doing anything reckless."
  "L-L-Lo-"
  "Hey all I do is reckless." Zakai had interrupted Yue who was once again blushing.
  Zakai hadn't said anything about the love birds part, not because he doesn't agree, but it's also not like he agrees. He, too, is confused at the feelings he has for Yue.
  He took her hand and started walking, him taking the lead.
  "Heh, where are you taking me?" She asked.
  "You'll see when we get there."
  What she didn't know was that he was taking her to his secret hiding spot. It was a small cave he found that lead to an open area that was dimly lit by glowing crystals. He had discovered it once when he was playing hide and seek and covered it up with leaves.
Upon reaching it he uncovered it and crawled in, with Yue right behind him.
"It's a tight fit." She complained.
"Only because you're-" He was interrupted as she grabbed his leg and squeezed hard. A dark aura seemed to appear off her.
"I'm sorry? What were you gonna say?"
"Because you're big." Well that's what he was gonna say, but her sudden dark aura changed his words, leaving him to say "N-Nothing...."
"That's what I thought." She smiled, though it wasn't a happy one.
It didn't take long to reach the center of the cave where it was around ten meters wide and ten meter tall, allowing both of them to stand up. Yue looked in awe at all the glowing crystals, the faint blue light they emitted made her skin glow, making her look prettier than ever, or so Zakai thought.
"Why are you staring?" She asked. She had noticed him staring for quite some time, though she didn't really mind. She liked when his eyes were on her, but she still wanted to know why.
"You just....look so pretty in the glowing light of the crystals." Her sudden question surprised him, giving her a sudden answer, which he had not meant to say.
Yue's entire face went red and she looked away.
"You think so?"
"..."
"...You don't?" She feared he had changed his mind.
"No, I do...I just don't...I feel it's wrong for me to say that."
"Why?"
"Because you're my sister..."
"I'm not your real sister, Zakai." She smiled softly. "That means we have no family bonds, and if you find me attractive or pretty that's perfectly normal. It's okay to have romantic feelings for another girl, especially for a boy your age when you start getting curious about it."
His face, too, went red at what she had said. Her sudden calmness was attractive, as well as the soothing sweet voice she had used. On top of that she was saying it was okay if he liked her, right? He wasn't to sure about it, maybe he was reading to much into it, at any rate, he didn't like the fact she made him blush, which made him flustered.
"Don't get so full of yourself that you think that I, Zakai Snyder, would have feelings of romance for YOU of all people!" He was glad she had squatted down when she spoke to him earlier because it gave him a clear karate chop to her head.
"OWIE!" She grabbed her head. "What do you mean? You don't have feelings for me....?" She looked at him with sad eyes.
"N-No, I do. But you'll never get me to admi....wait." He had just fallen into Yue's trap.
"I knew you had feelings for me." She smirked.
"Sh-Shut up! I thought it was obvious...I mean...after that incident with my friends...they even told you."
"Yeah, but you never said it yourself. That you had feelings for me. And if I may be so bold as to ask, what...what are the feelings you have towards me?"
She was scared but slightly excited at what he could say. Scared if he rejected her, but excited because he might accept her.
"...I guess...I guess you would call this love." He put his hand to his heart, where it was beating fast.
Yue's face went red as she looked at him.
"Zakai..." She spoke softly as they looked in each others eyes.
The crystals seemed to be pulsing now, almost as if turning off and on, leaving the cave in the dark every so often. Every time the crystals would glow, you could see the two leaning closer to each other.
The secret they shared in that cave would never be forgotten between the two of them. Especially not for Yue. Zakai was, after all, her first and only love....