Chapter 33- Keep it a secret

The fire cracked as the 3 strangers starred at Zakai.
  "So," the man started. "You're a hunter who came out to help us?"
  "Indeed," Zakai replied.
  "And....we don't have to pay?" The mans wife asked.
  "I'd be disgusted in myself if I accepted any payment at all."
  "That's very generous of you," the woman smiled.
  "He was kind in the forest too," Silvia, the girl he had met in the forest, added.
  "Don't say it like that!" Zakai jumped out of his seat. "I swear nothing weird happened in the forest."
  "Oh, it's fine." The mom smiled, although the smile was not one of belief.
  "Sigh....anyway. When do the bandits attack?" Zakai asked, changing the subject.
  "Well...it's random..." The father muttered.
  "George, honey. It's not your fault," the wife interrupted. "My name is Julia," she walked up to him. "And forgive my husband, he feels it's his fault because he can't protect us...but no one man can..."
  Zakai narrowed his eyebrows. "What do you mean? Are there just a lot of them?"
  "No...it's just two strong bandits..but they're so strong...it's unbelievable."
  "Ah, I see..."
  'They could be them...,' he thought to himself. "When they come, I need y'all to stay inside."
"You don't need he-"
"You won't be of any." He interrupted. "Not to be rude," he laughed softly and put his hands up in surrender. "It's just...I think I may know who it is."
"Friends of yours?"
"No...just...people I know." His eyes lowered to the ground and he went silent.
"Well, until then-" Julia grabbed a drink and handed it to him. "Let's just relax."
"Er...I don't drink." He kindly denied the drink. It looked like whisky. 'I'm actually underage, buuuuut...they don't know that.' But he also doesn't drink.
"Oh. Well that's fine. It's actually best that you don't. Well, how about some soda?"
"That'd be wonderful." He smiled softly.
"Please, take a seat too. You don't have to stand. We have plenty of chairs and couches for you to sit on."
He nodded and took a seat on a chair. Immediately a sigh escaped from him and George began to laugh.
"I know. That chair is my favorite too."
"I can see why," Zakai laughed with him.
"So, why's a huntsman doing all the way out in the mountains?" George asked, starting a conversation.
"You know. Stupid assignments. And of course, with my luck, I got stuck with a mission in the mountains. It's freezing out here."
"Oh boy I feel ya. Getting stuck with the crappy locations is a pain."
"I know. And can you believe another huntsman, whom I know, got placed basically on a remote island that's basically a private beach?!"
"What?! Outrageous. But I can also believe it. Back when I was a huntsman-"
"Woah- you were a huntsman?" Zakai interjected.
"Oh yes," Julia interjected. "He was. And he was a strong handsome one at that. You remind me a lot of him." Zakai smiled kindly at the compliment.
"Yes, and believe it or not something very similar happened to me. I was placed in a desert. Hot as a young burning fire, while my friend got placed at a school near an amazing view of the ocean to watch for Grimm attacks that happened there. Life is unfair."
"Honestly though." 'What the hell am I talking about? I'm just making up stories!!'
"You know, at first. I thought you were lying about being a huntsman. But now that your telling me similar stories, I can tell you're the real deal."
"Really? So I passed the test and can marry your daughter." Zakai joked, but Silvia was blushing in the other couch.
"Hmmm. That's not my choice, that's hers."
"I-I was joking." Zakai waved his hands in defiance.
"I know."
"..."
"..."
"..."
"Oh I get it! You were joking too!" Zakai laughed.
"I wasn't."
"..."
"..."
"..."
"So when was the last time you all got attacked?" Zakai asked, curious.
"Hmm..about a week ago." George sighed softly. "They stole food and other supplies." He scratched his beard.
"How did they just go back to a normal conversation?" Silvia asked her mom.
"Oh, it's what men do. It's a men thing, I don't understand it either...."
"Do you know when they're going to attack next? Or is it random?" Zakai asked.
"Mmm....I think they're trying to keep it random, but they're doing it once every week three days after the last time they did it."
"So it's a pattern that repeats once a week....I see. And when last week did they attack?"
"On Tuesday."
"Okay that means they'll be attacking Friday...which also happens to be today."
"Yeah...."
"Well, no worries then," Zakai smiled arrogantly. "I'll take them down for you." He cracked his finger with his thumb like a certain person.
"Thank you." Julia smiled softly. George nodded his head in agreement.
"Thank you so much for this." Silvia finished.
"Of course," he smiled. "Anything I can do to help, no matter who it is or what I have to do, I will do it."

A few hours passed after the conversation. Zakai was offered a spare room to stay in and he had sat there, reading a book ever sense. Waiting for the bandits to attack. Silvia had come in not long ago, she wanted to talk, but Zakai had told her to wait. He wanted to finish the chapter.
"Damn. He just destroyed them." He closed his book, having finished the chapter. "So, how can I help you?" Zakai tilted his head.
"I think your cute." She said instantly. "And I want to kiss you."
"Wait, what?!"
"You don't have to if you don't want too," she blushed. "I'm sorry I asked, and I know I'm not the prettiest girl, and you barely know me. But I think your cute, and sweet. And also...being out in the mountains like this, you don't tend to see a lot of people, if any. So...you'd also be my first kiss..." she blushed.
'Oh no...' Was all Zakai thought. "It's....okay, I guess..." he mumbled.
"Wait, so I can kiss you?"
"Eh?! I never said that. I just said it's okay that you wanted to. I'm well aware of the effect I have on women. I'm not surprised you want to kiss me," he stood up with a sigh. "So, I'll do you a favor, but you gotta keep it a secret." He winked.