Chapter 18- What the hell is that?!

"What are we gonna do?!" Ruby panicked. "Is he gonna die?!"
  "Calm down," Zakai said sternly. "No, he isn't going to die. We're gonna get him to Mistral and get him some help."
  "What if he doesn't make it that long? What if he dies before we reach it, or what if he dies  just as we see it?"
  "Idiot woman!" Zakai grabbed her and pulled her into a hug. "What did I say? He's gonna be alright. We will save him, he won't die. I won't allow it." He said softly. He could feel Ruby's body getting hot, especially around her face.
  "Okay...," she said softly as he let her go.
  "Good, now then, which way is it?"
  "That way," Juan said, pointing forward.
  "Well then let's go," Zakai said as he picked up Qrow and rested him on his back.
  "I...think there's an easier and more comfortable solution," Rin stated.
  "What's that?" Rin pulled out a hamper from some ruble.
  "Ah, I see," Zakai slowly lowered Qrow on it and Juan and Rin grabbed either side and picked it up, along with Qrow.

  "So, Ruby," Zakai started as they were walking. It had been a few hours since Qrow had been injured.
  "Yeah?" She asked as they walked side by side.
  "You wanted to ask me a question earlier, do you remember it?" Her face went beat red.
  "N-No! Of course I don't remember. It was right before we got into that fight. But I can't remember the question," she stuttered.
  "Ah, I see," was all Zakai replied with.
  "Is...there anything else you want to ask me?" She asked. "You seem to have a lot on your mind,"
  'She can tell?' He thought.
  "Yeah, I lost my memories. I don't know who any of you are, and I'm confused as to how I know y'alls names. And as to how you all seem familiar, like we were close. And there's names I know but I don't know the faces; Weiss, Yang, Blake. I don't know them but I know their names. I'm confused. I don't know what I'm looking for, but I'm out here looking for it, I'm just so confused." Is what he wanted to say, but instead he said the first thing that popped in his head.
  "Yeah, are you single?" 'Wait, why was that my go to question?!'
  "YES!" She answered quickly and loudly, her voice seemed to have squeaked a little also. "W-why do you ask?" She asked, her voice still squeaky.
  "No reason," he shrugged. "I was just curious."
  "Well....are you single?" She asked.
  'I..don't know...am I? Maybe that's what I'm looking for, my girlfriend?' "Yep, single as the last Pringle you get in the can." He grinned.
  "What does that mean?" She asked with a smile and an eyebrow raised.
  "You see, the last Pringle is the hardest to get, right? That's me. I'm the last Pringle. I'm at the very bottom, and no matter how much someone wants me, they can't get me. Even though I want them to, ya know?" He scratched the back of his head. "I sound dumb," he laughed.
  "Not at all," Ruby quickly jumped to correct him. "I understand exactly what you mean. I'm like that, except I'm not like a Pringle. I'm more like a rose with thorns."
  "Beautiful but hard to obtain?" He asked. Her face went red.
  "N-no!"
  "Just hard to obtain then?"
  "No! I'd say more like no one would pick you over the one without the thorns."
  "I disagree," Zakai frowned.
  "How so?"
  "Roses with thorns may prick you when you go to first grab them, that is true. But if you're gentle and now how to properly grab them and take care of them, you'll never get hurt." He said. "That's my take on that at least." He shrugged.
  "Yeah, well then I disagree with your Pringle idea," she puffed her cheeks, making her look cute but childish.
  "Haha, how so?"
  "I always get the last Pringle," she smiled.
  "Are you hinting at something?" Zakai asked with an eyebrow raised and a smirk.
  "No! I'm just saying that I always get it....I just turn the can upside down and it falls into my hands," she mumbled.
  "Oh? You don't give up on it?" He asked.
  "I never give up," she put her hand to her side like a super hero.
  "So...you'll never give up on me then?" The words came out his mouth before he knew what he was saying. 'What was that?! Why'd that come out my mouth?' He thought.
  "What...?" She looked at him, her eyes wide.
  "Nothing," he quickly averted his eyes.
  "You're lying," She grumbled. "But to add on to what I was saying, I never give up. Not on anything," she turned and looked at him. "Or anyone." His cheeks went slightly red and he scratched his cheek with one finger.
  "Haha, that's very kind of you, Ruby." He smiled. "You're like those superheroes from legends."
  Her face brightened up. "You think so?" She ran up and grabbed his hand with hers and held them up as he looked in his eyes.
  Her silver eyes seemed to shine, while Zakai's blue eyes stared into hers.
  "Stop...flirting," Qrow's voice sounded from behind them as everyone stopped.
  "We weren't-" Zakai started but was interrupted.
  "There's a cross way," Juan interrupted.
  "Well, which way do we go?" Nora asked.
  "There's a mountain to the right, and a straight path to our left." Rin stated. "I think whoever goes to the left should take Qrow. He doesn't need to travel up a mountain."
  "Agreed," Zakai said.
  "Well, I think taking the high ground would be advantages. Even if it leads no where, we can at least see what's ahead of us."
  "I fully agree with Kai on that," Rin added.
  "Wherever Rin goes, I go," Nora was quick to act."
  "Fair enough," Zakai shrugged.
  "Zakai," Ruby frowned.
  "Y-Yeah?" He asked, hearing the menace in her voice.
  "Where are you going?"
  "The moun-"
  "Where?"
  "With you!" He quickly corrected.
  "Really? That's so kind of you to come with me," she smiled.
  'Who knew she could be scary...or maybe I'm just a wimp?'
  "Well I'm going with Ruby and Kai then. They have Qrow and could always use an extra hand." Juan said.
  "Thanks," Zakai smiled.
  "No problem. But I think me and Ruby should carry Qrow," he said.
  "Why's that? Don't let Ruby carry it. Me and you can."
  "Well, when it comes to fighting and defending, I think you may be more skilled and less...reckless." Juan laughed nervously.
  "I agree," Ruby shrugged.
  "You are strong, and well balanced and in control. Juan? He can barely fight,"
  "Hey!"
  "Me? I'm kinda..."
  "Reckless," Juan finished.
  "Hey!"
  "I understand," Zakai rolled his eyes. "I'm fine with that," he said as he started walking ahead.
  "See y'all on the other side," Nora called.
  "See ya! Stay safe!" Juan and Ruby called.
  "Don't do anything stupid," Zakai called behind him as he continued walking with his hands behind his back.

  They came across a village a little while later. It, just like the other one, was destroyed. It must have been destroyed a while ago, yet there still seemed to be an ominous atmosphere lurking around.
  "I don't like this," Zakai said as he put his hand on the hilt of his weapon, ready to draw at any instant.
  "Me too," Juan said, looking around like he was being watched.
  "Me third," Ruby added.

   *Meanwhile, with Rin and Nora*

  "Rin....," Nora spoke with fear in her voice.
  "It can't be," Rin said, his voice sounded with fear as well as resentment.
  Nora started crying.
  "We have to go warn the others!" Rin stated as he took Nora's hand and started running.

  *Back with Zakai and the gang*

  "What the hell is that?!" Zakai asked as he backed up from the Nuckelavee.
"I don't know, but it's not good news," Juan said as he backed up with Ruby, they were both still holding Qrow.
"Ya think!" Zakai retorted as he jumped back from an attack from the Grimm. It's hoof slammed into the ground and cracked it, causing dust and debris to fly around.
"Get Qrow somewhere safe!" Zakai called back as he grabbed his weapon and unsheathed it. "Now," he started. With the click of the chains linking, he tossed the sword at the giant Grimm. "It's time for you to die!" The sword stuck into the Grimm and Zakai pulled the chain, grappling himself to it.