10: Longing

The same week na natapos ni Emy ang eksperimento niya, Franco also finally let her start practicing horse riding.

Though kailangan pa rin naman niyang magpractice para mamaster niya ang archery, most of her time will be occupied now by her training with Haow.

Somehow, she is excited. She had read a lot of books about it of course. But it was not enough. Sa lahat ng aaralin niya eto lang yung may living thing na kasama kaya naman nakakasigurado siya that it will be unpredictable.

Today will mark her first day of training. Haow told her to meet him after class. Kaya naman saktong pagpatak ng uwian ay dali dali siyang lumabas ng malaking gate ng Ming Province.

In normal day gaya ngayon, everyone is free to go outside. Kaya naman, Emy didn't have to get any permission to do so.

She went directly on the hills kung saan sila magkikita ni Haow.

Hindi rin naman siya naghintay ng matagal because she immediately heard horse footsteps.

"Hi..."

Haow was smiling at her gently habang nakasakay sa isang kabayo at hawak ang isa pa gamit ang isang renda.

Emy nodded at him. Her eyes afixed to the horses. The one Haow riding is black and the other one is brown. She had read too much books that she could immediately tell that these horses are well-groomed and taken care of.

"Are they from the barracks?"

"Yes. Your grandpa immediately asked me to pick as soon as he heard you will start practicing." Haow said as he went down the horse and tied the brown one on the tree. Saka niya hinarap ang dalaga. "Did you wait long?"

Doon pa lang tumingin sa kanya ang dalaga. He suppressed a smile. He could tell that she was excited.

"Nope. I've just arrived here."

"Alright." Then bumalik sa kabayo niya si Haow. "Let's ride together first so you can get familiarized with the feel of the horse moving."

"Eh?" Emy couldn't hide her disappointment.

Haow chuckled. "Just a ride, Emy. I need to give you first hand experience about the horses."

Napakunot noo si Emy. Why is Haow so different now than his usual na laging pinagtutulungan nila Franco? When she realized that he is waiting for her, she shrugged and approached.

"I don't know how to ride."

He smiled at her again then offered his hand. "You're in luck then. I can lift you from here. Grab my hand."

When she did, agad siyang hinigit ni Haow paakyat ng kabayo. She didn't expect na kayang kaya siyang buhatin ng binata ng ganun lang. He is definitely not that strong looking but when she grabbed his hand, his grip was firm, not too strong and carried her up effortlessly. Soon, she is sitting in front of him, his body is crowding her perfectly as he holds the rein.

"I think tomorrow, you can get changed first in riding outfit bago magpunta dito."

"Yes, I should have known that this dress will get in the way."

Once again, Emy was disappointed. She wants to really ride the horse like how Haow do. But all she can do right now is a side seating because she is wearing skirt. Although it is long, it still gets in the way.

Haow chuckled. "Easy. We're all about familiarizing right now anyway."

He started moving the horse, slowly at first. He used his right hand to hold the rein while his left on her waist, pulling her closer to him.

Emy, once again, crinkled her eyebrows.

This feels foreign and yet very familiar.

Hindi niya alam kung ganito lang ba talaga dapat kapag nakasakay ng side seat sa kabayo but this is exactly how Marco held her as they rode a horse together for the first time.

Haow held her the same but the vibe is different.

"I have to hold you like this. I am afraid you will fall."

Haow said as he felt Emy stiffened.

She just nodded and looked ahead. Maya maya lang din, Haow felt her easing up.

That's when he started riding faster and he watched Emy as she changed her expression.

His heart hurt. Why does she keep reminding him of the past? He had accepted his fate finally and living his life better than before. Pero kung may namimiss man siya ng sobra yun ay ang babaeng iyon. After all, how can he not when he only love one person in his whole life?

Emy closed her eyes to feel the wind. Haow evoked the horse to go faster then and enjoyed more of her changing expressions.

Then she suddenly opened her eyes and looked at him. She gave him a huge smile. In his eyes, it was so pure. Exactly the same as how that girl used to smile at him whenever he showed her new things to explore.

And seeing it now, he can't just simply take it.

Agad agad na nahigit niya ang renda that causes the horse to stop. At para hindi malaglag si Emy, he grasped her firmly, almost hugging her. The smell of the lady filled his nose at mas lalo lang siyang kinain ng nostalgia.

It's almost a year now and yet, it was only today that he was totally consumed by longing... longing for her. He shut his eyes as memories flooded his mind.

Emy didn't expect the sudden stop kaya napakapit siya ng husto sa braso ng binata. Then she looked at him to ask kung bakit siya biglang tumigil, only to see his pained expression. Namumutla din siya.

"Haow, what's wrong?" She immediately asked and even tapped his arms na nakayakap sa kanya.

"Give me a moment."

"You are pale. Is there something wrong? Are you not feeling well? Gusto mo bang bukas na lang natin ituloy to?"

Umiling lang si Haow and for a moment, he was quiet. He cleared his mind and looked at the lady in front of him. They are not the same. They probably have a lot in common, scarily a lot. But they are not the same.

Yes. He knew she died. And he can never get her back again unless...

"Do you believe in reincarnation, Emy?"

Parang binuhusan ng malamig na tubig si Emy dahil sa biglaang tanong ng binata. She stiffened and just open mouthedly stared at Haow.

Why is he suddenly asking her about it?

Napailing si Haow when he saw her expression. She might be thinking that he is weird.

He breathed deeply. "Nevermind. Let's continue training."

Emy just nodded.

***