13: Nurse

Haow stared at the pitiful lady before him. It's time for him to deliver food and drinks to Emy. Pero hindi niya mapigilang makaramdam ng awa sa itsura ng dalaga.

It has been three days since he put that blindfold on her eyes. She had never removed that. Normally, if people are afraid, they will immediately open their eyes to escape the darkness.

But Emy is different.

She kept her blindfold and bore whatever she was seeing in the dark.

Minsan nga lang, the chief and him would hear her scream and cry kahit na nandoon na sila sa camping area na sinet up nila.

Anyway, wala namang mga wild animals ang susugod sa dalaga sa kinaroroonan nito. That was one of the things na sinigurado ng chief. But Haow was certain na may ginawa ang matanda upang mag-ingay ng ganoon si Emy.

"One has to understand in order to move forward. One has to be numbed inside in order to be merciless." Narinig niyang sabi ng Chief nung mismong unang beses na narinig nila ang sigaw ng dalaga.

Napailing na lang si Haow.

If others will see Emy now, malamang ay magagalit sila.

She would always face everyone gracefully and politely. Who would have thought he will see the girl like this?

Dirty and frightened.

She was shivering too habang nakaupo sa lupa at yakap yakap ang sarili niya.

As of now, mukhang hinang hina na siya. Whatever she had seen in the darkness seemed to exhaust her too much.

Ni hindi nga ito nagreact ng lapitan niya ito. She used to be too sensitive even at the smallest sound.

"Emy, I brought you food." He said quietly.

Then he crouched and fed Emy. He did have to do it otherwise she would not eat at all.

After feeding her ay tumayo na siya.

However, Emy suddenly spoke.

"Tell Master I am ready for next."

Her voice was hoarsed and tired and yet, there was new firmness in her words.

***

The Chief smiled as he heard Haow's news. Agad niyang pinasamahan si Emy sa kabilang tent wherein she got herself clean up and changed her clothes.

She didn't get enough rest ng bumalik ang chief to give her some gifts.

***

Hindi alam ni Emy kung pang-ilang beses na siyang sumuka.

It was a torture after the other.

Matapos siyang isalang ng chief to test her sanity, ngayon naman ay ang tibay ng sikmura niya.

He told her to examine the carcass of the animals na "regalo" niya daw sa kanya.

From rabbits to bigger animals.

Ilang araw na rin niyang ginagawa iyon. She keeps on vomitting too.

Hindi na niya alam kung gugustuhin pa ba niyang kumain eh. Lagi rin naman niyang inilalabas ang mga iyon once na kaharap na niya ang mga regalo ng chief sa kanya.

In fact, it was already the bile which she's throwing out now.

"Futile. Are you going to keep vomitting? Tanong sa kanya ni Chief.

Umiling siya in contrary to what her body wants to do.

"Then stop that now. You still have lots to do. Ni hindi mo pa nga nahahanap ang puso ang deer na yan eh."