18: Phoenix

Ilang araw ang lumipas ng ipatawag ni General Lie si Emy sa Barracks.

Agad naman siyang nagpunta doon. Only to find the old man's gift to her when she followed Franco's direction na magpunta sa may stable.

Emy was stunned.

The gift of General Lie to her was a very gorgeous horse. Its orange brown coat looks fiery kapag nasisinagan ng araw. Mukha ring maganda ang pangangatawan nito base na rin sa tindig nito. Dahil kasama ito ng ibang mga war horse, malamang ay alaga din ito.

"It's beautiful, Grandpa Zhang."

"I am glad you like her."

"So she's a girl."

Emy wanted to touch the horse but it was currently inside its cage.

"What is her name?"

"Phoenix."

What a very suitable name. The horse is very elegant looking. Even its white hair is highlighting its beauty.

"Her father and mother were also one of our war horses. Parehas na magandang klase ng kabayo ang dalawa. But they both died months ago dahil na rin sa katandaan.

"Phoenix is on younger side though. She quite has a temperament. Minsan, nakikisama naman siya sa mga nag-aalaga sa kanya. But there are also times na kailangan pa siyang paamuhin.

"Which we don't have enough time to do at this moment. We are busy and we need to prepare in case of an attack. The other horse will be out the field to help the army.

"But Phoenix won't be one of them. She still needs to be trained. And since she will be left out, I am afraid that it might make her temperament worst and so I have decided to give her to you.

"I have been planning to do so noon pang nag-aaral ka pa lang ng horse riding. But I still need to ask permission to the Chief first, of course."

"Grandpa Zhang, I... I love her."

Napahinga ng malalim si General Lie habang tinitingnan ang dalaga. He had never seen her with a huge smile before. She also has fascination registered on her face. She was almost like a child after receiving the best gift.

"Grandpa, is she really mine now?"

"Yes."

"Really?"

Napangiti ang matanda.

"Really."

"I... I will need to go back to the Grey City soon, does it mean I can bring her with me?"

"Of course."

Hindi inaasahan ni General Lie ang sunod na ginawa ng dalaga. Emy hugged him.

He doesn't know how to react after that. Sa tanda niyang iyon ay pakiramdam niya ay nagblush pa siya dahil sa biglaang pagyakap sa kanya ng dalaga.

General Lie had only two children si Feng at ang Papa ni Lie Chen. Kaya matagal na rin ng may maglambing sa kanya. Feng was still caring pero hindi na ito gaya noon na talaga namang malapit na malapit sa kanya.

Because of that, General Lie laughed at saka tinapik ang ulo ni Emy.

"I am glad you like it."

Emy smiled at him again bago bumitaw ang dalaga sa kanya at saka nilapitan ulit ang kabayo.

"Phoenix, I will be your partner from now on."

Emy said happily.

***