12: Past

"Miss Hans, do you still remember what I had told you before about being a hunter?"

That's the question that hyped Emy to the bones. Today, she met with the Chief. Haow was also there but he would just be a mere watcher of the two.

Nasa gubat sila malapit sa Ming Province. It is said that there a lot of animals in here. At dahil nasa pinakaloob sila ng gubat, Emy can actually tell that they are in more dangerous area of the forest.

"Miss Hans..."

"Yes, master."

"Tell me."

"...But being a hunter is not just about hitting your target with an arrow. Your target will be moving and the best hunter will know when and where to hit its arrow."

"Good job. You seemed to have not forgotten about it."

Emy shook her head. How can she when it was just everything that she was thinking ever since she heard it from him.

"I will add more to that. When a person hunt, he usually used his eyes to see.

"A great hunter, though, uses his feeling, instinct and knowledge.

"This will be different with chess wherein you have to wait for your opponent's next move before you can plan again and do yours."

Emy stiffened. That's exactly the first thing that came into her mind when the Chief offered to train her.

"This time, you have to face your enemy head-on, nock your arrow and shoot. But if you hit your target, it has to be on point. You have to hit its weak spot, otherwise, it will run and you won't be easily catch up with it."

"Understand."

The chief approached her.

"Your training today will be scary for a girl like you. Are you prepared?"

She is sure that the chief is not someone who will make this kind of bluff. She believes that if he says it is scary, then it really is.

"I am."

He stared at her for a long time. Emy held her eyes directly at him. When he was satisfied, he called Haow.

The lad brought a small cloth.

"This will be tied on your eyes. For the whole day, your eyes will be blinded and you will need to stay in this forest until I say otherwise."

Emy was silent.

Haow walked behind her and tied the cloth on her eyes. She was instantly surrounded by darkness as her eyes couldn't see anything.

Since that's the case, her other senses heightened. She heard Haow's moving very lightly as he walked away from her but after that, wala na.

She doesn't know exactly what to do. But everytime she hears a sound, hindi niya mapigilang pumaling kung saan niyo ito narinig.

Slowly, fear crept up on Emy's chest. Ever since na nabuhay siyang ulit, she thought she had removed fear from her system. She always had plan. She is always prepared for what's ahead.

But now...

She remembered what she had told about Anika habang papunta dito sa Ming.

She had indeed accomplished what she wanted to as Samantha. She got her revenge. The council is gone.

But she still had this unsettling feeling. Like that's not yet the end of it but rather, a beginning of everything.

Along with that, dinaluhong na naman siya ng mga alaala ni Emy.