Chapter 23

I'd toss and turn in bed at night as I try to think of how I could possibly do what Dumbledore asked of me.

I'd bother Remus who would grunt and moan in his sleep if I moved to much. So often I'd leave the room and pace in the hallway.

Remus was right, nowadays I never slept. Once before it was he who refused the comfort of sleep, now it was me.

Though it was for different reasons. Every night I eternally fought with myself over awaking Remus up and telling him everything.

I didn't like keeping secrets from him, especially considering I had told him never to do the same. It felt wrong and unfair even if I did refuse Dumbledores job.

Sometimes when the stress grew to strong I'd walk back into our room and kneel in front of our bed, just to watch Remus sleep for awhile.

It reminded me why I was going through so much stress and worries. I did it because I wanted to protect those I loved.

I'd work so much because I wanted to help in any way I could. I leaded because that way no one else could be to blame if something went wrong. I didn't want anyone to have to suffer more than they needed.

If someone had to take the pain, I would. I prefered it that way.

Tonight I paced done the hall alone, without Remus to stare apon, as the full moon left him locked up in a room.

It had been a couples of days since I had last seen Dumbledore, but his words still haunted me, maybe more than ever.

I couldn't believe that I was biologically apart of the Lestrange family. I hated them with all my guts and yet they were my aunts and uncles, grandparents and cousins. The idea of it made me want to throw up.

Pacing down the hall that evening didn't calm me, I felt like the longer I stayed the less I could breath. So I decided to grab my coat and leave, I didn't want to leave Remus alone but I thought that in the end maybe it was best to leave if I wasn't concentrated.

I begun to walk down the street, checking the time. Maybe the store was still open, I could maybe buy something to cook a nice breakfast for Remus.

As I walked down the same road for a couple of minutes that same uneasy sensation returned. The same one that I got everytime I was out, I was being followed.

Normally I would say I was being paranoid, but this time I could hear footsteps, though they were far away and quiet I still heard them.

I walked on deciding to ignore them, I didn't need to create problems if there weren't any, yet.

Finally, as I saw the lights of the store still on I stopped in my tracks and sighed, relieved. Though apparently stopping for two seconds was enough for the follower to catch up.

I couldn't see them but I heard them breathing. I slightly jumped and pulled out my wand.

A tall, slim, bat like figure stood in the shadows, "did your mother never teach you, it's dangerous to walk about on a full moon,"

I recognized that deep, hoarse like voice, "fearing something before it's even there to fear it is the stupidest thing," I scoffed, "stop standing in the shadows Severus,"

The man walked closer allowing the street lights to glance on his face, showing how he had aged.

He stared at me coldly, "well, seems like the life of a death eater has added wrinkles to your face," I tried to act normally but deep down I felt nervous, worried of who else might be lurking in the shadows.

"The life of the order hasn't seemed to strip you of your horrible humor,"  Severus mocked,

"what do you want Severus? You've been following me around for weeks haven't you,"

"I've been ordered to," he coldly answered,

"what? By who?"

He didn't answer, he simply stared a moment before beginning to walk away, "why did you come and talk to me?" I called out, he stopped in his tracks as to say he was listening without turning around to face me, "if you were asked to watch me than I doubt you are suppose to talk to me, why would you do that, and why tell me what you're suppose to be doing?"

He turned around to face me once again but he didn't make any other movements towards me, "what do you care, just be happy you're aware of it now,"

"I already knew," his eyes slightly narrowed at my answer, "I wasn't sure if it was you but I had my doubts,"

"Why not stop me than?" He questioned,

"Why do you care?" I copied his reponse,

"Don't be slay with me," he groaned, "do you know what I capable of,"

"which makes you more predictable, could you say the same of me? Do you have a clue of what I could do to you?"

His confused face quickly changed into that of anger, "are you threatening me?"

"who knows," I paused a second and raised an eyebrow, "what do you really want severus, I can tell this is something personal,"

"another time," he groaned, "I never wonder to long under this moon,"