Chapter 62

"Leave her alone! Don't touch her!" Voices echoed in the back of my mind as I slowly regained consciousness.

My head throbbed with an unbelievable pain. I slightly groaned and stuttered as all my senses returned to my body.

My hand lightly grazed the ground allowing me to acknowledge the fact that we were no longer located in the field.

There was no grass but rocks and twigs instead. "No need to worry Lupin," Greyback's voice rang deep into my eardrums, "finally returned among us have you?"

I couldn't yet see him but his breath against my face and low whisper indicated to me that Greyback was only inches away from my body.

"Open your eyes!" he ordered as he grabbed my face between his fingers. I didn't resist his instructions, I didn't have enough energy to do so.  "Now why don't you tell us who you are?"

"Viel," I managed to cough up with the little salvia that had formed in my throat.

"you know this man don't you?" he pointed in the direction of Remus guarded by a handful of werewolves watching his every step. "don't lie to me, do you know him?"

"Yes,"

"Well, how strange," Greyback released me and stood back up, "you come here to bargain and some witch is spying on us in the distance,"

"Greyback please, she has nothing to do with this, I promise. I know her but I never asked her to come, she didn't even know I was planning on coming,"

"Is that true?" Greyback's attention was placed on me once again,

"yes,"

"Than why are you here!"

"an accident,"

"how dare you!" he growled, "you really think I'd believe that!" his shadow closed in on me once again,

"Greyback I'm warning you!" Remus intervined,

"Warning me? So you still side with these people, if you dare stand there, protecting her, you cannot call yourself one of us,"

How did we manage to fuck up so badly? Remus must have been sent here by Dumbledore to convince the werewolves to join us and I had just ruined our only chance.

I just hoped Remus had realized what was at stake. I begged for him to leave me alone, I didn't want him to protect me. If this was the only way for us to win the werewolves over, than I was okay with that.

"I can't let you hurt her,"

I smiled to myself as I pitied our situation. I knew he wouldn't let them hurt me, no matter how badly I could hurt him he would always put me first.

I had just hoped that maybe today there was a ray of hate in his heart for me.

" So you haven't changed Lupin," Greyback shook his head but he haf already known this since the moment Remus greeted him,"there is a price to pay for lying,"

Greyback signed to the men standing near me and without hesitation they pinned me down so I couldn't even move an inch.

"No!" Remus charged towards me,

"Remus !" I cried, it was almost instinctively,

His hand reached out for mine but was denied authorization to reach its destination. A large thud echoed through the cave as Remus's body hit the rocky ground after being pinned down violently.

"Here you have no strength, no power, no control. Here you are nothing, just like how we are nothing outside this cave," Greyback's voice stung because he spoke the truth, "So, how does it feel being powerless, being seen as vermin?"

"Greyback!" Remus barked, his fury clear seen and heard by all but Greyback still ignored it.

His bare feet dragged themselves against the dusty floor. Greyback's movements seemed calculated as he advanced in his trajectory. His gaze piercing through mine and burning my soul.

So this is what it felt like to be prey. Before the inevitable fate of the food chain fell upon them, small beasts died in agony, not of pain but of fear.

My heart beated as fast as my footsteps would run if I could escape. My breathing made my noise twitch and ears quiver. I felt like a helpless rabbit caught in the claws of a wolf.

"have you ever heard about the mark of a wolf?" Greyback's eyes leveled with mine but that didn't mean we were on an equal footing, "do you know what it means?" his body was hovering over mine. I could see his chest raise as he breathed in and see his Adam apple moved each time he swallowed. "Let me show you,"