Chapter 33

"Remus," I hushed,

He looked up from his book and when he saw my expression he put down his cup of tea, "what is it?" he asked as he stared at the letter I was holding in my hand, "honey?" he nugde on when I didn't answer.

"we need to go see lily, now!"

He didn't even question it, he got up from the couch and walk towards me. He pulled me into an embrace an apporated us straight away.

As James and lily's house came into view so did the sound of sorrow and tears.

"Lily!" I cried out as I saw her collapsed on the ground, I didn't even hesitate to run over and hug her, "lily, oh god," I cried with her.

Remus and James sort of looked at each other, Remus asking for an explanation from James through his gaze.

"it's Mary," he whispered, "we just received a letter confirming her death,"

All I heard were a few whimpers and sighs from Remus, he didn't know what to say.

"I can't Viel, I don't know what to do," lily wept, "I'm so happy you came, I don't know what to do with myself,"

I hugged her even tighter than before, I was devasted by the news but I couldn't even imagine how lily was feeling. Mary had been lily's best friend since they were eleven years old. Mary was suppose to be her maid of honor.

" I'm so sorry lily, "I tried to hide my pain I didn't want to add to her sorrow, but it was so hard.

" I just I can't believe it, "she sighed," what I am supposed to do without her, she was my best friend, I lived her to pieces. I - she was my maid of honor, I can't get married without her there, I can't - Viel! "she gasped at the horrible realization, "Viel she's never going to meet my baby, oh no, oh Mary! I'm so sorry!"

"lily she'll always be here, maybe not in person but in spirit. She'll be here for you and she'll be at your wedding, she'll see your baby. She wouldn't miss it for the world lily. She will be there." I hoped that my words made her feel better though I doubted it. I doubted anything could make her feel better in this time.

" what are they going to do? " Remus asked me after we left their house. We'd stayed all afternoon to try and confort lily but now it was getting late and lily and the baby needed rest.

"about?" I asked him to clarify,

"The wedding, I mean if Mary was supposed to be the maid of honor they're going to have to make some changes,"

"that is if lily doesn't decide to cancel, I hope and believe she won't but to be honest, this is going to destroy her, having her wedding without Mary being there,"

Remus sighed longingly as his grib on my hand tighten, "it's in moments like these I fear what will came next the most, I always wonder 'who will be next' and my heart skips a beat imagining it being one of us. I couldn't bear the thought of losing any of my best friends, losing you,"

I stopped in my tracks and gribbed his hand within both of mine, "you're not alone Remus, I can't stop thinking about what we're putting ourselves through, the danger and the amount of stress, I wish it was all just a horrible nightmare and that when I go to sleep each night I'll wake up the next day to a bright shining sun in a world where this war never existed,"

" if only, "he raised my hands and placed a gentle kiss apon them, "but even though, none of this is ideal, as long as you're by my side Viel, I could get through anything,"