Chapter 1: The Sword And The Stick

"Run, Lisa... Run like your life depended on it."

Her feet would have sunken into the snow if her steps were not so quick and light. Yet she made no sound while she moved like a blur through the White Forest, west of the Kingdom of Almiana.

She wasn't nervous nor afraid. She was focused and determined. She trained for this, excessively so that within a few minutes, she caught up to them.

There were just two of them left, mercenaries from who knows where, with only one goal, kidnap the heir to the throne.

One of the two men had his arms around their captive, a sharp dagger pressed against her neck while she dragged her against her will. His companion had his bow readied and nocked, clearly waiting for Lisa to show up.

Once she was close enough, Lisa slowed her pace and hid behind a tree. She controlled her breathing to catch her breath and lower her heart rate.

"I will not die today. Neither will Nini.", Lisa thought as she reached for her sword...

But it wasn't there.

"Shit..."

Lisa looked around where she hid for any potential weapon and saw a piece of wood; straight, 6 feet long, a makeshift quarterstaff.

It would have to do.

Lisa looked at the two men holding Jennie hostage. They were almost out of the White Forest, which was Almiana's border. Beyond it was a dangerous territory where ferocious beasts and magic run wild.

Lisa had to act now.

She picked up a tiny stone and lobbed it high to her left, as she ducked and ran to the right at the same time. Within a few seconds, the stone would land, hopefully drawing the attention of both men, allowing her to strike.

Lisa moved low and quick, just like she did in training, and within seconds, she was in position.  She waited patiently about 20 to 30 feet behind the one holding Jennie. With her eyes closed, she waited... for the stone she tossed to land on the other side.

...

...

*thunk*

The stone hit the trunk of a tree, and the archer quickly spun, along with the one holding Jennie hostage.

An arrow was fired into the tree, hitting it directly where the stone had hit, just as Lisa rushed from where she was.

1 second...

"Don't look."

2 seconds...

"Almost there.", thought Lisa. She prioritized speed over stealth but kept her frame low as she closed the gap between them.

3 seconds passed... and both men slowly turned their heads as Lisa was finally within range.

It was the archer who saw her first, but he was still drawing another arrow from the quiver on his back.

"HE'S BEHIND YOU!!", shouted the archer to the one holding Jennie hostage.

With an accurate forward thrust, Lisa managed to insert the wooden stick she had between Jennie and the dagger that was pressing against Jennie's neck. Lisa flicked her left hand quickly, pushing the sharp blade away from Jennie's throat.

Lisa used the momentum of the man, who was swiftly turning to face her, against him. She landed a solid hit on the man's arm that was holding the dagger and spun the quarterstaff to hit his other arm that was holding Jennie by the waist.