Chapter 7

She would have felt alright if it had not been for the owner of this familiar and creepy voice.

Yes, she would have felt fine, indeed.

Deep inside, she rebuked herself for her carelessness. Stupid. She forgot that if it wasn't for Eve, there were only two out of the many nobles invited to the mansion today who could do this to her. Her father Duke Kling and....

"...Lord Ober. "

She could add the title 'Lord' to his name because she acted as rationally as she could at the moment. She stepped back from the jewelry box and raised her head.

Ober, who was leaning against the pillar near the window at a distance, walked up to her.

Marianne barely put up with the strong desire to turn and run right away.

However, she moved back a few steps unconsciously as she couldn't hide her hatred.

'I wish I had not been duped by Eve and Angel. I should have stopped them.'

She regretted it instinctively, but she admitted that she was already late. At the same time, she even rationalized that she could not help it at this point.

There were too many parties that Ober had held for her in her previous life, but obviously, there was not a single surprise party.

"You look more haggard than I saw you last time. Are you sick?"

Ober had already come up close to her and stopped. He even inquired after her with a worried look and wrapped her waist naturally.

She stiffened like firewood when he suddenly touched her. Then she smiled awkwardly and forcibly pulled his arms away from her waist.

"I'm alright. I didn't mean to worry you."

He frowned slightly at her reluctant attitude. She saw his gray eyes under the dark red hair sink heavily.

"You look angry at me."

She was amazed by his pretty quick judgement of the situation.

In the past, she would have been pleased with his warm considerations like that, but his sharp gaze now was like a blade to her. She didn't know what would happen tomorrow or right away if she lost favor in his eyes.

She put her brain to work quickly because she had to avoid the situation right away.

"I really can't deceive you. I just can't believe it was you who instigated Evelyn and Angelica to play this ridiculous abduction game on me? Why didn't you tip me off in advance? I was surprised."

"If I had told you in advance, I wouldn't have seen your lovely expression that you made in front of the jewelry box."

Ober skillfully responded to her complaint and looked at her eyes.

She was helplessly held by him for a moment.

Ober's eyes seemed very affectionate even though they had a color considered to be ominous.

His fine looks and strangely erotic image were enough to make a sharp but fascinating impression. Maybe her former self might have loved this kind of dangerous feeling.

But she shook her head as if she wanted to shake it off.

In no time, she realized that he was puzzled by her strange reaction, so she had to come up with an excuse quickly.

"You're wrong. I would have been happy even if I had known it in advance."

"Well, it looks like you like my gift. Is that right?"