Chapter 27

"You asked me if the Marquise's tea party was an important ceremony, right?"

Marianne nodded, dropping her tea cup on the tray. Mrs. Charlotte sighed.

"The daughters who lost her favor at that tea party ruined debutante balls without exception. Entrepreneurs lost their clients. Some nobles saw the rank of their knights reduced. There are quite a few artists on the streets who couldn't sell their works. Young daughters often found it difficult to find their mates because their ruined reputation."

"That's ridiculous. It's just a tea party. It's not a test."

"Nope, it's a test. And it's only the marquise who decides to give them a pass or fail. Once they lose her favor, that's it. It's no use donating huge wealth or offering to serve her like a maid."

While listening to her, Marianne made a very displeased expression.

"She is too harsh."

"But she has maintained such a domineering attitude for decades. You have to accept it."

It was a certain fact and reality that the leader of the high society in the capital was Marquise Chester. And it was clear that what she wanted was not expensive paintings or fancy jewelry.

Her salon was rather close to a political party. The only difference was the gender of its members and its meeting place. However, in terms of impact, it was as influential as the cabinet meeting of the Imperial Palace.

"In the end, it's like a declaration of war."

"Yes, although it's a little bit different from the general declaration of war."

"Anyway, this is an invitation to the battlefield, right?"

Waving the invitation, she laughed emptily. It was in her dream last night that she would be full steel her mind before going into the battlefield, but she never expected she would be attacked so quickly and blatantly.

"If you don't want to go there, you can refuse."

"If I do so, I'll be tagged as a rude and stupid woman in the northern area because I was well-raised without any difficulties all my life."

Mrs. Charlotte was a bit embarrassed by her harsh tone. This naive lady always surprised her at unexpected moments, even though she had dealt with so many daughters from noble families.

"Well, what they are saying is not always true. If anybody dares to say that to a royal family member like you, they will be punished for insulting the royal family."

Marianne silently read the invitation again. She was not sure if it was the marquise's own handwriting. It was written in a fairly elegant font, which said the tea party date was tomorrow. Such short notice was often regarded as rude. But it looked like the marquise didn't care about it. In a sense, it looked like a threat that she would not give Marianne enough time to prepare.

"Mrs. Charlotte!"

After turning it over in her mind, Marianne opened her mouth again.

"I have to write a reply."

"Are you going to attend?"

"Sure. I can't give up even before I start."

When she reached out, Mrs. Charlotte took back her invitation.

Marianne removed the blanket and woke up. Cordelli adjusted her untied gown.

Iric turned back in surprise. Everybody around her in this mansion was nice to her.

Once she went out of the mansion, however, she might be faced with dozens of people who were not nice to her. She had to be accustomed to the cruel situation.