Chapter 82

"What about the grand duke?"

"When he got the report from the search team that just took over, he immediately went back to the residence. He said he would come again tomorrow."

"Did he leave the deputy chamberlain behind at the temple?"

"Yes. By the way, he was really stubborn. He had three ribs injured, but he kept asking about the updates from the search team every hour. As I hear from the servants, he didn't eat properly."

"I understand he must be suffering from lots of pain. One's compassion is hard to resist even by divine power."

Helena clasped her hands in a spacious sleeve. There was a wind in the pine trees nearby with a gentle scent of incense.

"Your Eminence!"

Priest Hilde approached them, fluttering her long robes. The fragrant wind gently entangled the girl's black hair.

"I am done writing letters of repentance!"

Her small hands hung on Helena's arms. Helena stroked her hair silently.

But her eyes were still looking further away.

The gentle pulsating winds from the early summer fields blew over strongly.

"Hilde. I told you many times you should not run or make a loud noise before the cardinal. You wrote a letter of repentance on it again today. I think it's time you really learned the lesson as I have scolded you so many times."

"It's because I was excited for a moment."

"Whether you did it a second too long, you did wrong."

"Why don't you change your job? Not as a priest, but as the deputy captain of the Nagging Knights?"

"What the heck?"

Arsenio made a straight face. Hilde pouted her tongue, frowning at her. As Hilde recommended her job change the deputy, not the leader, Arsenio regarded her remarks as intended ridicule. Hilde's ridicule also reminded her that she always won second place in the exams for priests.

But hitting the nail on the head with a naive face was one of Hilde's specialties.

"I've got to do something about this naughty girl..."

"Your Eminence, Cardinal!"

At that moment, a priest came running short of breath from the west entrance of the temple. Looking at her with a bright expression, Hilde grabbed Arsenio's sleeve.

"Uh, even Siel made a loud noise as she came running to the cardinal! Why don't you tell her to write ten letters of repentance? Oh, she should write 20 as she is much older than me, isn't she?"

"What is that nonsense?"

"Uh, Arsenio, you talk too loud! You have to write a letter of repentance, too. Since you didn't keep your word, you should write 100 letters, right?"

"Hilde! How dare..."

As Arsenio stepped forward to grab Hilde's neck, Helena, who was watching the two quietly, reached out. Arsenio stopped.

"Your Eminence, they've arrived! The emperor and Lady Marianne just arrived here through the western gate of the temple..."

Taking her short breath, Siel pointed to it with her fingertips. At the end of the horizon where the sun was setting over the mountaintop, two long, or when looked more closely, three long shadows were getting closer.

Helena went straight down the stairs and crossed the front yard. Siel was quick to help. Arsenio and Hilde, who were ready to fight in a short time, hurriedly followed.