Chapter 53

"I'm honored to see the beautiful embodiment of Goddess Anthea."

Ober approached Marianne without any hesitation. She looked at him when he offered polite greetings. Those around them also began to focus on one place quickly.

"...Sir."

Marianne gracefully extended her gloved hands. Ober rose slowly after touching his forehead and lips on it.

"I would like to say hi to the emperor, too."

"His Excellency... He hasn't arrived yet."

"Really? I'm sorry to hear that."

"You don't have to say sorry."

Ober stroked her cheeks as he looked at her with ardent eyes. At that moment, he was in the mood to show that kind of tolerance.

The emperor didn't appear at the ball on the eve of his engagement. Marianne was alone. Those present at the ball already thought that Ober and she were an unfortunate couple who failed to get engaged.

"It's a gem that matches very well with the Spring of the North."

Above all, the accessories worn by Marianne satisfied him. They were the gifts that he gave her on her birthday last month.

"I hurriedly brought my stuff here from Lennox. When I came to Milan, I was so absent-minded that I couldn't bring them. But I wanted to use it today..."

"I think the emperor gave you a lot of gifts, too."

"I have several, but he didn't give me anything for today's event. And I like it best. That's why I really begged him to get it for me. I even said if he didn't get it for me, I would not go to the banquet tonight."

Ober barely held back the urge to scorn at her.

He truly missed Eckart at this moment. How shameful he would have felt if he had seen his childish fiancee begging her former lover because she couldn't forget him! The emperor must have known the rumors about her in social circles and on the streets. The emperor was not the type of person who turned to sweet talk and exaggeration to increase his power. Unless he was in desperate need, he wouldn't do it. Nevertheless, he accepted her request gently.

"I am glad to know you appreciate my sincere efforts to care for you."

Ober smiled softly with grace, expressing his gratitude.

Marianne was like a fish already caught in his net. As long as she was in his hand, Ober really wanted the emperor to fall for this woman deeply for any reason. It didn't matter if he was obsessed with power or love. The deeper, the better. He wished the emperor would go crazy enough to bet everything on her. The more he did, the more he would regret it later. Carried away by his own stupidity, he would be strangled to death because of his sense of loss.

"Marquis Chester!"

A large shadow popped up from behind. Ober looked back, frowning slightly.

"Giyom."

Giyom, his assistant and bodyguard knight, bowed to him. Ober briefly turned his back against Marianne.

"What's up?"

"Mrs. Chester called you."

"I'll go later."

Ober shook his hand as if her call was bothersome. And then he turned to Marianne.

But Marianne's condition was strange. Her gaze was set on the ground, and her grasped hands held by each other were trembling visibly. If the breathing was disturbed, the exposed shoulders were trembling. Her shoulders were moving up and down as if she was short of breath.