Chapter 101

Their dinner was extravagant for the temple food. Obviously, the imperial chef who was included in the emperor's entourage for this journey chose the best of the remaining ingredients to make the food.

During "The Night of Anthea," the number of people as well as the access time was limited, so most of the dishes were arranged for them to eat conveniently without any additional help.

Although Marianne always had a helping hand during her life, she skillfully helped Eckart enjoy the meal. Compared to other servants and maids, she was quite good as far as serving his food was concerned.

Of course, there were some things that he was uncomfortable with.

"No, just stay still. Let me do it for you. Okay...try it."

Just like treating a child, she humored him to feed him the soup.

"Wait. Let me wipe your mouth."

Even though he didn't both hands injured, she took the napkin from him kindly.

"Marianne, you don't have to do this lowly service."

"Well, it's a special situation right now. You hurt your arm."

"Are you forgetting that my left arm is fine?"

"I know, but Lord Kloud said you need absolute rest. That means you should not move at all. He asked to keep an eye on you because you are going to move around if I take my eyes off of you."

Marianne put the meat, which had been cut into edible pieces, into his mouth, and put the other half in her mouth. Then she rinsed her mouth with wine quickly.

"Oh, please forget about what I just said last."

Eckart looked a bit perplexed. But he chewed and swallowed the meat in his mouth quickly.

She grinned, looking at him with a satisfied expression.

"Thank you."

"For what?"

"Well...just about everything."

Leaving alone Eckart, who frowned without knowing her intention, she took the rest of the food on the plates with a very pleasant expression.

Although the dishes were simple, it was kind of a full dinner served from appetizers to desserts. Among them, Marianne ate the most delicious grilled sea bass with fennel and crispy, smooth creme brulee. Despite his refusal to eat at first, he also tasted all the dishes on the plates. It was true that he had a bad appetite, but he tried to enjoy the food deliciously because of Marianne who had a fork in front of his nose, with her eyes sparkling.

When they were done, the priest who was allowed access came in with servants and had them clean up the table. The lights everywhere were all collected. Next came the tea they could have overnight, and a medicine tray prepared separately for Eckart and Marianne.

The sun had already gone down while they were enjoying dinner. Instead of the reddish sunset, the darkness of the deep mountains covered the inside of the temple. The torch on the table was the only source of light in the room.

"The wound on your back still feels painful, right?"

Despite the dim surroundings, Marianne asked, taking some opium and melting it skillfully.

"If I drink medicine, I can endure it."

Eckart received the silver cup offered by her. The peculiar strong scent of opium tickled his nose. Still, he felt the scent was much less stronger than before, thinking it was refined, or perhaps its dose was reduced.