Chapter 92

She couldn't believe the horseman was dead. Nobody told her about it. Neither the emperor, nor Curtis, the cardinal, or the priests. Even Beatrice, who informed her about Kloud's multiple wounds, didn't tell her about it.

However, she did not want to blame anyone. In fact, she was not qualified to blame anyone for not having told her about the ominous story because she didn't pay much attention to his survival or death after the accident.

The accident was urgent and imminent, and she herself had no time to check for the horseman at the last minute. Her selective indifference, however, severely tore up her conscience.

It was indeed an excruciating pain for her.

'If he wasn't responsible for the wicked scheme, he was innocently sacrificed. I really hoped this kind of thing would never happen again since the countess was bitten by the snake...'

Marianne was helplessly lost in sadness. She was friendly and kind by nature. In the face of the death of a man of whom she had never conversed with, she imagined the sorrow of the man who left this world and the man who was still alive in this world.

He must have had a family, a friend, and a beloved one. He must have had a cute horse, colleagues who worked together, and maybe he had an old friend he hated because of their quarreling. They could no longer see him in this world. They were deprived of the opportunity to tell him they loved him, missed him, and even hated him.

"Gosh, I wonder if made any mistakes..."

Barton tried to read her mind because she looked bad so quickly.

"Oh, no. I just believed he was still alive. As you said he was not, I was surprised. Oh, that's too bad...I just hope you can wish Jason for his rest."

"Yes, I'll pray for his rest on your behalf, too. Don't be so sad. Don't you think the lives of poor creatures like me are the same? You have to have dry firewood for the fire to burn well. There are people born to be fire while there are others born to be firewood."

Barton's words displayed harsh and familiar logic. Even Cardinal Helena, following the divine providence, said that it was the working principles of the world.

"Her Eminence Cardinal Helena said something is helpless even if it is unfair."

She recalled Hilde's clear voice.

Something unfair but inevitable. Unfair, but helpless. Something inevitable...

It was sweet talk to disguise a cause that could not be accomplished without sacrifice.

It was also a common and sobering reality that it was impossible to have everything one wanted without losing anything. It would be the nasty shades of life she would have to go through again and again.

"Barton. I have to go as I have something to do. If you find something else, don't delay and come to see me. I really want you to see me first, if possible."

Marianne feigned a smile after she was done with her cowardly rationalization.

"Of course, will do. Have a good rest then. Let me leave now. Oh, by the way..."

"...? "

Marianne blinked her green eyes curiously. Barton scratched the back of his neck as if he was shy.

"Well, I know many have already congratulated you. I would like to congratulate you, too. As you are good and beautiful, I'm sure you'll lead a happy life."

"... Oh, thanks." Marianne replied with a gentle smile.

Barton bowed to her deeply and left. He straddled the green grass with a heavy step and walked away.