Chapter 62

After all, Eckart finally announced the decision in a low voice. Even before the marquise refuted him again, he called Grand Duke Christopher standing at a distance.

"Hey, let me ride a horse with Marianne. Let 20 knights including Curtis follow me and you take care of the rest of the procession, Grand Duke Christopher!"

"Yes, Your Majesty!"

"They should follow me at least ten steps away from my horse."

"You bet. Please wait a minute as I have to send the advance party to check out the road conditions ahead."

Eckart nodded. Grand Duke Christopher quickly left to call up the knights.

"I will never forget your efforts for me. Thank you."

Marianne appreciated their help at the right time. Although she felt Mrs. Chester's sharp look, she took the pains to smile, pretending not to notice it. As there were no more excuses, everyone went back to their places.

The procession that stopped because of the accident waited for a while before leaving again. Twenty white horses each carrying a knight were ahead of the rider with an imperial flag.

The scenic beauty of the sun setting in the mountain ridges was superb. The splendor of the setting sun fell through the dense tree trunks. The smell of grass and the fragrance of wildflowers carried by the evening breeze was everywhere. Even the hoofbeats sounded like the cheerful beat of percussion instruments.

"It's so different from what I saw inside the wagon. How pretty!"

Marianne admired the landscape unfolding before her eyes. As if she had forgotten the accident a little while ago, admiration filled her face.

"Let's move by wagon tomorrow. The roads will be tougher," Eckart said, reining in the horse tightly once more. He was supporting her back with one arm, who was seated on the horse slantedly. Her flowy long dress covered not only the horse's saddle but more than half its body. At a distance, the horse seemed to be wearing a red lace.

"Will do. I'm sorry for what happened a moment ago. I didn't want to lose favor with anybody. In the end, I think I caused trouble for you."

Eckhart looked down at her, feeling her warmth. After a brief hesitation, he brought up a different topic.

"... Weren't you really hurt?"

"Nope. As you can see, I'm very fine."

"Don't loosen up for the rest of your journey. Although the Eluang Knights will always be by your side, they will find it more difficult to escort you than inside the Imperial Palace. That's why the enemy is targeting you."

"Do you think somebody has secretly instigated Barton to do that?"

Marianne turned her head to look up at Eckart's eyes. He looked at her with hIs blue and cold gaze.

"I have no doubt that there is somebody behind this trick, regardless of whether it was his evil act or someone else's behind the scenes..."

"Why were you trying to kill Barton when you were not sure then?"

"Because I didn't want to have you hurt twice."

It was a decisive and heavy answer. She tightened her grip on the saddle.

"I know if Barton was really serious about killing you, he wouldn't have stopped there. But that can't prove his complete innocence. Should I still forgive his carelessness?"

"Who knows? Someone else might be the real culprit, right?"

"I couldn't find the true criminal in that place anyway. If I found the real criminal, I would have to kill Barton. Even the true criminal might be a man of the lowest class, instigated by someone else. The harsher the punishment, the greater the pressure he will feel. "