Chapter 54

The place they went into was a bathroom. Fortunately, there was no maid there, but the large marble bath was filled with warm water. As if a maid had poured hot water in there to cool it down, their view was blurred because of the water vapor in the bathroom.

"Damn it! How come she walked so fast? Are you sure she went this way?"

In the meantime, somebody's footsteps in the distance were heard closer. That was the noise of a couple of men walking with heavy steps and Ober's displeased voice.

Marianne managed to come to her senses. As there was only one she could turn to at that moment, she desperately held the hem of his robe.

Her exposed neck and shoulders trembled bitterly like herbivorous animals. She felt cold even though she was in the warm bathroom.

The moment she curled up her shoulder, Eckart quietly raised her arm.

"You are really bugging me. Giyom, are you sure you didn't meet Marianne? Was there any news that she had a big quarrel with my mother today?"

"Nope. I haven't heard anything about the marquise."

"Then, why did you suddenly get scared and run away? You were just fine until then. What's unusual was that you appeared suddenly and my mother was talked about. What the hell made you scared? Did a monster with ten eyes stand behind you? Why didn't I see that?"

Although she heard Ober's sharp voice in front of the bathroom door, Marianne managed to stand right there without collapsing because that golden cloak covered her shoulders.

Eckart held her with one arm while his other arm was grabbed by her. That was it. They didn't make any eye contact, whisper words of comfort, or tap their shoulders.

Nevertheless, she felt she was completely protected.

She did not refuse his favor, nor did she want to. Of course, he protected her out of considerations as a gentleman or out of patience for the hostage, but it didn't matter.

The thin cloth of cloak was her biggest and strongest shield at this moment.

Marian closed her eyes while leaning her forehead on her tight chest.

Only after Ober and Giyom disappeared in the distance did she burst into tears, which she had been holding back.

"O my....Your Excellency."

"Tell me anything."

"I was done crying now."

Marianne stared at him her swollen red eyes. His blue irises slanted toward her.

"So?"

"You can let me go now."

Only then did Eckart pulled away his arm around her shoulders. The warmth that covered her shoulder disappeared.

He stood like a statue while Marianne cried without asking her to stop crying or even ask why. This helped Marianne to have her cry out. After she had a good cry, she suddenly felt embarrassed without any reason.

"I'm sorry. Your ceremonial clothes got wet because I shed tears... "

"I don't care because the deputy chamberlain has brought spare clothes."

His cold voice echoed through the steam in the bathroom. Eckart moved back a couple of steps from his spot.

"Have you calmed down now?"

"Pardon? Oh, yes. Thank you," Marianne nodded quickly.

"Then, can I ask you a question now?"

"What question...? "