Chapter 63

'Is it because she was a hostage too precious to give up or because she sucked when offended? Or was it because he didn't feel the need to bother and answer this kind of minor physical contact?'

Of course not. Absolutely not. He just didn't want her to apologize for these kinds of trifles. He didn't want to confirm that she was feeling a sense of distance. He didn't want to hear her asking for his forgiveness every time she put her cheeks on his shoulders, grabbed his hands, and leaned on his arms.

"Marianne, what I mean is ..."

But he couldn't say that. It was he who planted such a deep sense of betrayal in her eyes.

It was he who pushed her away coldly and did not make any excuses for her repeated asking.

In such a situation, he would have given her some hope if he had overturned what he told her up to now. What should he after giving her hope? Could he really protect this woman?

Eckart bit his lips with a long sigh.

He had yet to take his revenge for her mother. He didn't yet forgive her father, nor did he throw him away completely. He could not know what to do with them. From a cool-hearted point of view, he would not even know how his fight against the rebel forces would end up.

But what if she were hurt more, felt despair, and lost her life like her mother because he couldn't control his greed?

"No. You don't have to answer. I already know that."

"... Marianne."

"Do not answer. please."

Marianne leaned back on his chest in a desperate gesture. Their entangled eyes were cut off coldly and scattered in the air. She pulled away her hands and grabbed the hem of her dress. Silence fell again on the clear forest road. Occasionally, she was weeping. Eckart stiffened like a stone statue after hearing all of it. All he could do was make an excuse for her to weep and help her to create a love affair with him. He didn't have the nerve to soothe her.

At that moment, a white bird flew from afar. The bird settled on the saddle edge, flapping its shiny wings.

"Phebe?"

As Poibe replied, it shook its chubby body back and forth. Its yellow crest nodded. Its black eyes sparkled like pebbles by the river.

"Did you enjoy the forest?" Marianne asked, hurriedly wiping her tears down to her chin. Poibe trotted toward her on its small feet and pecked up her arm.

"Sorry. My wagon was broken on the way. Your cage is probably in another wagon. I didn't even get a snack for you!"

"Peeyi."

Phebe usually spoke well, but it shook his head as if to protest by making a noise.

But it didn't tear her hair with its claws or use its beak as a weapon like before. At least it meant that Phebe didn't regard her as an enemy. In fact, she freed Phebe from the cage to enjoy the forest on the way, but it came back to her on its own.

"I'll take care of you when I reach the residence. So, don't be angry."

"I'm hungry!"

"Okay, Okay."

"I'm hungry!"

"Gosh, how come you're so stubborn?"

Marianne laughed while stroking its head, feeling pathetic about this small, tender creature.

Her empty heart seemed to be a little warmer. She put the parrot over her finger and rubbed her cheek slightly.

Without knowing the blue eyes right beside her cheek, Poibe spread its wings again as if it was done and soared in the sky, disappearing in the distance.