Chapter 181

"You don't have to. Thanks for your kind words..."

"No, I feel uncomfortable if you refuse. My father and I have felt uncomfortable all along because we didn't repay you properly enough when you have helped us on many occasions, including the Roshan accident. Oh, Phebe is the bird you trained, right? I owe it to you that I could control Phebe well. I asked the emperor what you liked, so wait for a few weeks. I'm preparing a nice present for you. "

"...Thank you," Curtis agreed to receive it reluctantly.

"Curtis."

As soon as the two finished talking, Eckart quietly called him. There was no sign of anger or urgency at all in his call, but Curtis immediately knew that Eckart wanted to know what business brought him here. He got down to the point right away. His black eyes sparkled.

"I've found out who the guest from Faisal is."

Four more days passed. Meanwhile, the rainy season came to a lull in Milan, and the warm sunlight began to pour down.

Marianne visited Mrs. Chester's salon for a long time and met several people. It was now her job to help Mrs. Chester, the host of the salon. Mrs. Chester called her kindly in front of everyone and talked with her and took care of the details as if to show them who her new favorite woman was.

Roxanne, who reappeared at the salon after almost a month's absence, volunteered to help Marianne and followed her. Many women in the salon began to gossip about her, Roxanne raised her head and smiled at them. Even when someone sarcastically said she looked better than before, Roxanne didn't get angry. But Marianne saw her clenching her crumpled handkerchief with her back to them.

"Oh, I'm sorry. Something urgent happened suddenly, so I have to stop the party now. Let me open the salon until evening, so you can go back and enjoy it."

As soon as Mrs. Chester said so and left the parlor, Marianne took Roxanne to the back garden, saying she wanted to get some fresh air outside.

"The weather is good, isn't it?" said Marianne.

"... Yes, it is." Roxanne said feebly. Marianne looked at her pitifully, but Cordelli, who was supporting her on the other side, snorted, grumbling deep inside, 'Why are you so lazy when you volunteered to help Marianne?'

Marianne calmed down Cordelli and pointed to one end of the garden.

"There's a rose garden when you head over to the main entrance. Would you like to go there? There's a fountain and a bench. It's perfect to take a break there. "

"Yeah. Let me escort you there."

Roxanne walked toward the place Marianne pointed to. Since she decided to be Marianne's friend, Roxanne acted passively like someone without her own opinion.

The quiet air blew over them. There were flowers that fell after the heavy rain, but most of them bloomed greener and brighter thanks to the rain. It looked like Mrs. Chester took care of them in advance, predicting heavy rain.

Marianne glanced at Roxanne, passing by the flowers that survived. Thanks to the fresh scent of summer, they felt the afternoon sun warmer.

"Don't worry too much. You don't have to react to what others say about you. Isn't it the tradition here on Noble Road where they create groundless rumors and the truth is buried easily?"

Roxanne didn't reply.

"Anyway, you can come back to the salon here, Miss Roxy. That's important."

Roxanne did not answer. Instead, her fingertips trembled faintly while she was helping Marianne. She was not sure if it was because Roxanne wanted to hear something from somebody or if Roxanne felt unhappy about her sympathetic remarks.