Chapter 87

Marianne opened her mouth only after chewing her lips once.

"Well, can I stay here a little longer?"

Kloud turned to her at that. She hurriedly made a short excuse.

"I won't wake him up. Let me just watch him here."

She explained with a low voice for fear she might wake him up as he had just fallen asleep.

Kloud grabbed some empty silver glasses on the table and stood up. Although she didn't notice it because the room was dark, there was a calm smile on his mouth.

"It's only the emperor who can refuse your request."

"... Thank you." Marianne smiled gently.

Kloud understood exactly what her smile meant.

She was the woman that the emperor risked himself to protect, and the woman who risked her life to protect the emperor. At the same time, she was the only daughter of Duke Kling, who had long been away from the capital, as well as the flower of the enemy territory that had an affair with Ober, the emperor's political rival.

Apart from the fact that she did not have any hostility toward the emperor, the emperor's men rightly had suspicions and wariness of her. Kloud also had his wife Mrs. Charlotte keep a constant watch over her. Perhaps she did not know it either. She wasn't stupid or immature as some had criticized meanly.

Although Kloud told her that only the emperor could refuse her request, it was a little different as far as his safety was concerned. Not only he but also Curtis, standing over there, could exercise their right to overrule it in a situation where the emperor was asleep. If they waited stupidly in contingencies, that would be unfaithful and sinful.

So, it was not because of their confirmation of her high status but because of their trust in her that she expressed gratitude to them. Their trust was so much so that they didn't search her or warned her to stay away from the emperor, who was put in a defenseless situation at the moment. Instead, they let her stay as much as she wanted.

"I will let you know as soon as we have the news from the local residence where Grand Duke Christopher is staying."

Having said that, Kloud left the room.

Marianne looked around the room once and approached the portable chair under the window. When she lifted it gently without making any noise, Curtis, who was standing in the corner, popped up and moved the chair.

She held her dress hem and thanked him before sitting down. He went back to his seat quietly. Obviously, Curtis was not an ordinary knight. When he came to pick up the chair and returned to his seat, he didn't make any noise at all that other people like her could sense.

'He's scary, but it's good for the emperor. I don't know how terrible a threat Ober's force will pose in the future..."

Marianne quickly glanced back. Suddenly, something she saw yesterday in the cave came to her mind. 'It looks like you won't betray me, given that you cried a lot.'

With a reasonable conclusion, she looked back over the bed.

The sharp bridge of his nose, forehead, and his sharp jawline was visible in the dark shadows. Although he was in bed due to the effect of the medicine, he in deep sleep.

She sighed a long and thin sigh. She gazed at him peacefully as if she felt relieved.

* * *

The residence in Roshan was bustling even before breakfast because the messenger from the temple arrived early in the morning.