Chapter 113

Marianne looked at Kloud like Eckart.

"By the way, don't you think you're overworking yourself? Is there anyone else besides you who can serve the emperor? I know you were injured a lot in Roshan, too. I don't want to believe the emperor ordered you to cancel your vacation or forced you to hold out when you were sick."

"No, not at all. Thanks to your warm considerations after I returned to the capital, I am much better now. In fact, His Excellency told me to rest more, but as I was stubborn, I kept working until now."

"Oh, you should follow the emperor's order. I'm sorry for Mrs. Charlotte, your wife, in various ways. How can I see you and your wife if your wounds get infected?"

"Fine. I will do my best to make sure you should not worry about me."

Kloud bowed to her with a gentle smile.

She felt sorry for him as he didn't stop working to leave the room, but she slowly stood up instead of replying.

"Your Majesty, I have to leave now as I have to stop by to see Countess Renault in the afternoon."

"Are you going to see the countess?"

"Yes. I haven't apologized to her since I saw her at the recent ball. I would like to see her before it's too late. I have got something to tell her..."

Eckart nodded casually, feeling some regrets that she had to leave now.

She put on the gloves she took off, took her foldable fan, and looked back at him at his eye level.

"Do you have anything more to say, Your Majesty?"

"Um...."

He seemed to be in thought about something briefly before he said, "As for the gambling I talked about recently, I flipped my first card today."

"Oh, yes. Ober came to see you today. He didn't look so good. I guess your first move was quite successful."

Although he used a figurative expression, she could easily understand it. He put the teacup down roughly as if he was bothered by her remarks.

"Did you meet him? When?"

"Oh, I bumped into him on my way here. He doubted me as expected ... So, I made plausible excuses." She tried to answer as calmly as possible.

But Ober's voice, which she deliberately tried to forget, came to her mind helplessly.

Was it because of that? She could not stop replying to his question confidently.

"... Was he willingly deceived by you?"

Eckart already sensed she was taken in again, but he asked, pretending not to know.

"Your Majesty."

She called the emperor as if she was hanging onto something desperately.

What she heard at the moment was her own voice when she called the emperor, but it was Ober's whispering that was louder and clearer in her ears.

"Marie. Duke Kling may already have known that perhaps the emperor wants to make you, your father, and your family unhappy forever."

She recounted Ober's words one more time before erasing them from her mind.

Obviously Ober lied, she thought.

If she wanted to know the exact reason for her father's secluded lifestyle, she could get the answer if she asked her father. The rest of what Ober said was his own cunning trick. To doubt her father was a trap Ober set for her. She thought she shouldn't believe anything she hadn't double-checked directly.