Chapter 140

Given that she hated Cassius in her bones, it was never strange that she could think of using the crown prince to revive the ruined empire of Lennox.

However, Blair already sensed his suspicion and ridiculed it, saying, "Don't waste your breath. If I actually tried to rebel, why would I leak my plan to you? You're Cassius's trusted advisor and a prominent nobleman in Aslan. I've never thought that your sense of guilt would overcome your solid loyalty to the emperor."

"... "

"Duke, the Romanov family has already been exterminated. I'm not thinking such a mean idea of breaking Aslan to revive Lennox. Although I hate this land ruled by Cassius so much, I have nowhere to return..."

She murmured as if she was completely resigned to the hopeless situation surrounding her.

"Besides, the people of Lennox were only recently freed from the war. Perhaps they could have settled down and found new homes and workplaces by now. I don't want to make them suffer again because of my own greed."

"..."

"Lenox was destroyed, I was dumb, and other members of the Romanov family were foolish. What is going to change even if I blame it?" Blair asked, smiling faintly. It was kind of the self-mocking smile of a woman who had already suffered too much self-hatred.

"I just... I just don't want to lose even my son Eckart."

Her blue eyes looked sad when she confessed to him finally.

***

Blair recalled the face of the crown prince who was only four years old. As if to prove that he shared his ancestor Frei's bloodline, he had vivid golden hair. With his blue eyes resembling hers, he used to jump into her arms with his sparkling eyes.

On the day she ended up living like a corpse in the palace and reopened the doors, she called in the prince after a long time. Of course, she did not expect any great or touching reunion. Rather she was afraid he might cry and run away, feeling that she was strange because he was forced to stay away from her for a long time.

But Eckart did not cry. He repeatedly looked back at the door again and again for fear the door would be closed again, and presented her with a garden flower he hid behind his back.

"Mom, I missed you."

"..."

"Can I come again tomorrow?"

"Of course, Karl."

"Wow, I'm so glad..."

" ...?"

"Because you remember my name, Mom..."

Blair cried for a very long time that day. The world around her shone with sorrow. It was the pain that she could not bear without crying because her whole life was focused on this child who she could not help but love and her husband Cassius who she had no choice but to curse.

"Although he has Cassius's blood, he is still my son, the legitimate successor of the Romanov family. I can't compare my son with that dirty illegitimate son."

Duke Kling stared at Blair with a gloomy expression. He sensed the disgrace and bitterness contained in her words. Her cold frozen eyes were the crystal of sorrow that no one could comfort.

"Yes. I don't want to hand Lennox over to them. If that land falls into their hands, that's going to be a dagger with which they will point at Eckart's neck all the time."

"..."

"You know that, right? Lennox is the most important land among several annexed lands. You will never know how many treasures and great history were hidden there, or how many people were left behind during the war. Only I know that."