Chapter 153

He wanted to believe her. And even without evidence, he did not want to doubt her. Whenever he met her eyes, he realized several times how painful it was to tell lies from the truth in her words.

"In other words, I died once and survived. When I opened my eyes, I found myself back in spring two years ago. I thought this was my second chance God gave me, so I visited you."

"..."

"Of course, you won't believe me..."

"I believe you because those are your words," he said firmly.

Marianne held his hands tightly. She was short of breath at the moment. She had wanted to hear those words the most. So, she couldn't believe her ears. She wanted to hear it one more time.

"... Can you tell me one more time?"

"I believe you. Regardless of whether it is true or false, I believe you."

His low, calm voice without any deception or hesitation rang in her ears.

Eckart was the man who emphasized distrust instead of trust since he first met Marianne.

He first checked out the possibility of it being false despite the obvious evidence before his eyes.

Mrs. Renault attributed it to his insecure life. She said it was his fate that he led a life where he couldn't believe anybody, and he should use someone's faithfulness as the means of control.

Marianne fully understood his distrust. She knew well that his fastidious wariness was the force that had kept him alive until now. She knew that thoughtless trust in others was a threat like him putting a knife in his heart.

He used to be that type of person until recently.

But now he was telling her that he believed her absurd story, not even caring about the source of her words. He believed her just because she said that.

"Your Majesty, I'm the one who hurt you."

"Marianne, what happened in Roshan was an accident. It's not your fault."

"It's not just what happened in Roshan. You know that you have paid for the price that I may have had to."

Although her confession was metaphorical, Eckart immediately recognized the true meaning of her words.

This would be the reason why she wanted to apologize to him all the time: her atonement for her ignorant and brilliant happiness that she had enjoyed while Duke Kling left the capital and led a secluded life in Lennox, keeping his secret promise with the late empress to himself.

"I won't hurt you anymore in the future."

The only thing that bothered him was that her sense of guilt was too much. The duke promised to him that he would return his promise of the past and conditionally offer everything, but she acted as if she would even feel her father's guilt.

Was she sorry because she couldn't take back the time that passed until now? If not...

"Do you still believe me? Can you forgive me?"

He usually stopped and habitually speculated on her motivations behind her story.

But that was not important. As long as he could get ahold of her, it didn't matter whether the reason was her sense of guilt or insecurity. He didn't care if it was curse and criticism or hatred and resentment.

"Marianne! I have never thought that you hurt me."

"Your Majesty."

"It's okay. You can stay beside me even at the risk of my pain and suffering."