Chapter 104

Blinking his red eyes slowly, he said feebly, "I can understand that, but I'm just worried if something bad happened to them."

Given what had happened to them a few days ago, Colin could say that.

But Jed quickly glared at him with angry eyes and pressed on his shoulders. At first glance, Jed's touch seemed to comfort him, but it was a kind of furtive threat.

Colin made a frown as Jed grabbed his shoulders tightly.

"Damn it. Don't say such awful things! At 19, you're an adult under the imperial law. So, as an adult, you've got to learn how to be patient and wait calmly."

"Sir Jed, I hear that one should be consistent in what you're saying to gain others' trust. Don't you remember what you told me today? When I was having lunch today, you told me I was not growing tall because I picked at my food like a kid, right? You called me a kid. And I heard you weeping in the room last time when I ..."

Even before Colin was finished, Jed quickly put his large hand on his mouth.

"Haha. It looks like our dear Sir Colin saw pink elephants as he didn't sleep well for the past several days. Let me beg the emperor to grant you a special vacation as soon as he arrives. So, just shut your mouth. Shut up more tightly. Even if you breathe in and out through your nose, you won't die."

Jed laughed at him evilly with a barrage of threatening remarks.

Colin tried to resist several times before giving up in no time.

Jed was a civilian official who had no talent for fighting at all, but he was much taller and bigger than Colin who was in the same position. His many years of closely working with Jed reminded him quickly that he could not overcome his physical disadvantages.

Among those waiting earnestly for the return of the emperor were the top officials, including the top five cabinet ministers. Although not favorable to the emperor, Duke Hubble or Ober also came out. As the waiting time was longer than expected, Hubble and Ober brought chairs and even tea tables in one corner of the conference room, but they couldn't leave the place because there were many who were watching them, and they didn't want to show disrespect openly.

Among those who were so carefree as well as earnest, Duke Kling was waiting for the return of the emperor most nervously.

Colin sighed as he stared at his back standing at a distance.

From the day they heard about the news of the accident until today, almost everyone in the palace nervously waited for the emperor's return. In particular, Colin and Jed, regarded as the closest aides of the emperor, were very much anxious to see the emperor more than anybody else.

When he heard the news that they fortunately saved the emperor and Lady Marianne and proceeded with their engagement ceremony before returning to the capital, Colin couldn't go to sleep almost every day.

He didn't know how many times he ruined reports because he couldn't focus. Whenever he heard something new, he ran to see if it was a messenger bird. When a day passed, he erased it from the calendar and resented the slow passage of time.

But even his extraordinary nervousness could not be compared to the duke's patience.

It was always the emperor that his close officials took as the weight of the scale under any circumstances. In the worst case, they could do without Lady Marianne. They couldn't possess Kling's wealth and Lennox's troops without her, but they were willing to take it. Strictly speaking, they didn't take into account her and her father Kling in their political calculations from the beginning. Of course, their loss would be painful, but it would be possible to mobilize a force that could substitute Kling's force if need be.