Chapter 30

"Apologize to Lady Marianne."

"But..."

"Don't you want to apologize? Do you want me to bring your parents here to offer apologies on your behalf?"

"That can't be..."

Roxy bit her lip with a sulky face. After hesitating, she finally lifted the hem of her dress slightly and offered apologies, putting her hands on her chest.

"I'm sorry, Lady Marianne."

Her sharp voice, like a cat's, trembled. Although she couldn't be more arrogant, Roxy seemed to listen to Mrs. Chester.

"It's okay. Stand up."

Marianne replied politely. Roxy stared at her sharply while adjusting her his posture.

The marquise glanced at Marianne who was still supporting her arm, and began to walk with a mysterious smile. Her red dress was so colorful and long that three maids lifted the end of her skirt slightly from behind her.

Roxy seemed to hate Marianne who was walking alongside the marquise. Roxy heard the guests whispering about her. She looked around with her red face. Her glance at Marianne was so frightening that they even felt as if she were hitting Marianne with her eyes.

"Marquis Chester?"

Then Roxy cried in a surprised voice. At her mention of the marquise, many people paid attention to her, following her glance. The marquise also stopped slowly.

Marianne was no exception. She heard that there were all sorts of people gathered at Mrs. Chester's salon, so she wondered if a certain famous marquise arrived late, but she doubted it in no time.

'I think I was called the 'last guest' when I entered?'

She looked puzzled and turned slightly.

There stood a familiar figure at the end of the long rug.

Marianne doubted her eyes at that moment.

"Marie!"

It was Ober's call.

Marianne stared at him with her body stiff like a stone statue.

She was so embarrassed and even scared.

"Sir, I never invited you to this party," the marquise, who turned belatedly, frowned slightly.

"Marie, why are you here?" Ober demanded, as if he couldn't hear the marquise. His calling her by her nickname, not her formal title, showed how shocked and angry he was. With a deep sigh, the marquise glanced between her son and Marianne. Those around them also looked at them alternately.

All kinds of thoughts occurred to her mind during that short time.

'Why is this guy here when he has to stay in Chester? Did he already detect my secret plan and chase me right to the capital? Did he find out my father's location? How much does he know? How should I respond to his questions? I shouldn't be so hostile to him because I have to obtain as much information about him as possible, but I should not be caught.'

"Ober."

Marianne called him with a trembling voice. Just as she felt so when Ober called her name, her calling his name without his official title suggested she was embarrassed. The guests once again whispered to each other when they called each other by their given names, which they usually did in private settings. In the meantime, Marianne secretly bit the inside of her lips. Soon, she felt bloody taste in her mouth and she was choked with tears, but not enough to drop tears.