Chapter 58

In fact, that was what he wanted from her: sharp judgment and courage at the cost of sacrifice, constant goodwill and bold determination, behaving herself cunningly, knowing her place, as if to show off the conditions that will enhance her usefulness.

What was more desirable in their relationship based on political interests?

"... If that is your decision, I won't force you anymore. "

Eckart covered his clenched fist with the other hand. Though he wanted to spit out some other words, he shut his mouth like a surprised clam.

This was the best decision. She was not wrong.

Nevertheless, he did not know why he just felt stuffy. He did not want to know, and he should not know.

* * *

"You obtained a snake that served its purpose very well."

Ober quickly emptied the glass of whiskey that Giyom filled.

Mrs. Chester, who sat across the long table, clicked her tongue. A purple lace fan she was holding shook like a butterfly's wings.

"Excessive drinking is a shortcut to ruin. Haven't you learnt the lesson yet after watching your dead father? Anyway, men are..."

"Did the previous head of the Chester family die after drinking too much? Which idiot would take it at face value?"

Ober made a ridiculous expression at her remarks. Mrs. Chester also shrugged, twisting her mouth slightly.

The man they mentioned was the late Marquis Calvin von Chester. Though he was only an earl, he was awarded the title of marquis for the contribution he made during the Lennox war. He was well known as a womanizer who had affairs with lots of women, and an opportunist who offered to the emperor his wife he belatedly took. To Ober and Mrs. Chester, he was a father and a husband respectively. But neither of them called him a father or husband.

"If you are tired, go and have a rest. I hate listening to someone's drunk words."

"That was a sure-fire way, but it wasn't something that Duke Hubble would approve. He likes a more noble way of doing it."

"I am not a stupid Ilius. Why should I get approval from that old man for each and every little thing?

At that moment Mrs,. Chester retorted in a displeased voice, "What? Noble way? I just don't know if I could describe it as 'a noble way' that the emperor brutally killed Earl Dupling and Marquis Kylo, to whom he wanted to give one of the top five minister positions."

"Anyway, it was known to the outside that they went hunting and were killed by a wild animal, right?"

"It's just a rare coincidence that a snake appeared in the banquet room," she said disdainfully, whose lips were a dark red rouge. She comfortably touched the seal ring on her right hand.

A black snake was embossed on it.

There was a pair of pythons in the seal of the Chester family. The black python Kiara and white python Rues. Chiara symbolized darkness and poison, while Rues symbolized light and wisdom. Both of them were engraved on the seal ring worn by Ober, now the head of the family.

It was customary, however, to inscribe only one of them in the seal given to the immediate members of the family head. Until now, most women and children with Chester as their last name chose a ring engraved with Rues. Maybe they thought light and wisdom seemed less ominous than darkness and poison.

But Erica, Marquise Chester, was different. She loved and valued Kiara much more. Throughout the long history of the Chester family, there were fewer than five people, including her, who chose Kiara.