Chapter 44

Marianne glanced inside the cage with wary eyes. While living in Lennox, she raised puppies, cats, rabbits, and even deer, but she had never raised a bird. A birds' appearance did not meet her aesthetic standards so much.

Apart from that, however, she felt suspicious about what the emperor said.

'Why do I need a bird that can talk well?'

Marianne doubted her own memory and then suddenly clapped her hands.

"Got it! This is a messenger bird, right?"

As if her reply was correct, Eckart felt a bit relieved.

"It's also a great species as a pet, too."

"Huh... Do I have to raise it myself?"

"The less others see it, the better for you. As she is smart, Poibe follows her master's words but she is very hostile to others."

"If that's the case, I can't help but raise her by myself."

Marianne gently touched the cage's grate with her fingertips.

If the bird were a messenger, her preferences were not an important consideration. When it's difficult to communicate with people, there's nothing better than using this bird to share news quickly and accurately. Even if one had to write and send a message, the flying bird would be far ahead of an animal running on the ground.

"You said her name is Poibe, right?"

"Yep. The owner who raised Poibe since she was a baby called it that."

"I see. Let me call it Phebe. I think I had better give her a nickname to cultivate intimacy."

She carefully unlocked the cage. Opening a small door, Poibe naively trotted out with her small feet.

'Wow! She is cuter than I thought.'

When Marianne smiled happily, appreciating its cute look, Poibe suddenly flew off.

"Oops!"

Marianne screamed and stepped back unconsciously. Poibe fled into the air, wandering around the chandelier on the ceiling before settling down on a golden candlestick fixed to the wall.

"Phebe! I was surprised!"

Marianne growled with a sullen face. But Poibe looked down on the ground with her black and sparkling eyes that were like black beans.

"Come here, good girl!"

Marianne did not give up and lifted her arm to open her index and middle fingers.

"Phebe, come and say hello. Huh?"

Poibe shook her head and looked at Marianne. After hesitating for a moment, Phebe shuffled and flap on her fingers as if she understood Marianne's words.

"Oh, how cute!" Marianne exclaimed, forgetting she was surprised a moment ago.

She thought she didn't like birds, but when she took a closer look, she felt that Phebe's reddish cheeks were lovely.

"Nice to meet you. I'm Marianne. I'm your new owner, starting today... Ouch!"

But peace did not last long. Poibe pecked Marianne's hand with her beak and flew back.

"Phebe! It hurts! I hear you follow your owner's words very well, but it was a white lie!"

Marianne grabbed her head while the bird quickly flew away after pecking her hand.

"You! How come you peck your owner's. Ouch!"

"Fool."

"What? What did you say?"