Chapter 138

"Then why don't you put off the dinner at the mansion and dine together with Duke Kling and the emperor at the palace? If I order the kitchen staff even now, they can prepare the meal right away."

"Dining with my father and the emperor?"

"Yes. After returning from Roshan, you haven't seen the emperor with your father, so I think it's a good idea for you two to have a meal with the emperor. You can discuss the protocols on the engagement reception and the next ceremony comfortably over a meal."

He gave her some plausible excuses for the three-way get-together, glanced around and twisted his body slightly toward her and whispered, "His Majesty hardly has any food these days. I think it's because he usually eats alone...Please do me a favor. Have a meal with the emperor together with your father."

Kloud then corrected his posture. Marianne bit her lip, frowning a bit.

In fact, she didn't want to see him for the time being as she was distracted so much after seeing Mrs. Renault, but when she heard that, she began to feel more worried than resentful about him.

She recalled Eckart's haggard figure some time ago. He said he was okay even when he looked so pale and haggard as if he had taken a dip in the frosty sea.

"...Got it. But don't report to him that I came here first. Let me wait until he's done reporting."

* * *

A little earlier, Duke Kling took the documents from Kloud and headed for the study of the main palace where Eckart was staying. At the end of the long corridor were an attendant and two servants who stood in front of the study.

Duke Kling pressed on them to go back home early as his meeting with the emperor would be very long. When he even lied to them that the next servants on duty would come to take their place, those who guarded the door politely greeted and left, believing him.

When they disappeared out of his sight, Duke Kling opened the door of the study and stepped in.

The inside of the study was more calm than outside. He smelled the scent of cool peppermint from the incense burning on the wall. At the end of the golden rug was a large desk by the window which was surrounded by a forest of tall bookshelves.

"May the glory of our great god Airius be bestowed upon you. I'm honored to see you!"

Kling walked up to him to show his due manners. Eckart slowly put down the documents he was reading up close.

"I would like to wish you the same protection of Airius."

Even though a different man came to see him at a different time, the emperor accepted Kling's formal greetings casually.

"Do you have the list of nominees for the National Knights Division in each province that I requested?"

"Yes, here you are."

Eckart even asked for the material he wanted. The documents that Colin had put together early on before giving them to Duke Kling were now handed over to Eckart.

Silence fell again.

Kling was standing still. Eckart turned the pages and read a couple of pages before saying casually, "Don't you see a chair next to you?"

"I'm fine."

"I know you're not as old as Duke Hubble. But I just think you are not young enough to stand until this meeting is over."

"I won't take up too much of your precious time."

"Well. I don't think that's true. You must have a reason for coming here in person to see me with these documents rather than asking your deputy to do the job."